Bradenham chase trophy
Wortwell 2, Bradenham Wanderers 3BRADENHAM clinched a place in the Cyril Ballyn Trophy (League Cup) quarter-finals in a close game played in poor conditions.
Wortwell 2, Bradenham Wanderers 3
BRADENHAM clinched a place in the Cyril Ballyn Trophy (League Cup) quarter-finals in a close game played in poor conditions.
It was all Bradenham in the early exchanges and after failing to score from two good chances they took the lead when Palin broke free on the left and provided the chance for Miller to hit a right-foot shot across the home keeper.
A couple of Bush corners soon followed. The first was headed against the bar by Garrod, but the second was hit on the volley by Forder to make the score 2-0.
You may also want to watch:
Wanderers continued on the attack for a long period, but were unable to increase the lead. On 30 minutes Woodcock left the field with an injury and was replaced by Melton.
A good home attack ended with a shot was tipped over by Findlay, and on 36 minutes a Wortwell corner was only partially cleared, the loose ball being half-volleyed into the bottom left cornerto make the score 2-1. On 40 minutes a Bush corner was headed goalwards by Garrod only to be cleared off the line. It eventually fell to Gilbert who shot over from close range.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 4 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 5 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 6 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 7 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 8 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 9 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 10 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
On 52 minutes a good Wortwell effort was cleared off the line, and from the resultant corner a home forward headed home to equalise.
On 58 minutes Palin found space in the opponents penalty area before playing the ball to Spalding who hit a right foot shot into the roof of the net for the winner.
On 65 minutes a Bush free-kick on the edge of the box rebounded off the bar and was cleared. Then Wortwell created a couple of half-chances, one easily saved by Findlay and the other going over the bar.
A quick break by the visitors saw Frappell in a good position but he blazed over. A minute later Forder found himself in a similar situation but with the same result. Wortwell created some pressure on the visitors' defence in the later stages but without creating any clear cut chances.
This was a game in which Bradenham were undoubtedly the more skilful side, but they were made to fight all the way by their young, very determined hosts.