Challengers Dereham get Eastern Counties Two North title push back on track
- Credit: Archant
Norwich II 12 Dereham 33
After the disappointment of losing to Diss last week, Dereham had set their sights on a bonus point win to maintain their push towards the top of Eastern Counties Two North.
Dereham opened the scoring when centre, Craig Chester, pounced on a loose ball in midfield. A pass to Les Moon saw the scrum half launch an up-and-under which the home team failed to deal with. The ball eventually went to winger Josh Gee whose pace took him over the line (unconverted).
Minutes later, a Dereham scrum on the Norwich 22-metre line was won and the ball went through two phases of forward play before captain Rhys Leeder drove over the line. Marcus Evans obliged with the conversion.
Norwich were certainly not in the mood to give up without a fight and this determination – coupled with some poor Dereham tackling in their own half – allowed a Norwich forward to cross the line under the posts in the 35th minute to register their first points (converted).
You may also want to watch:
The away team put some good phases of rugby together after the break when winger Brett Stolworthy made good ground and released the ball in the tackle to centre, Harry Graham who had run a great line to score under the posts (converted).
Dereham pressure eventually told and prop Lewis Smith touched down at the foot of the post for the bonus point try (converted). Big Andy Brooke didn't want to miss the party and showed great determination to force another score in front of the posts. Norwich added an unconverted try late on.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
- 3 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 4 Dereham's plans for Remembrance services announced
- 5 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 6 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 7 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 8 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 9 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 10 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
Captain Leeder said: 'This was certainly an improved performance from last week although aspects of our game could certainly be improved. We clearly need to address some things on the training ground. Nevertheless, a bonus-point win was crucial so I can't be too disappointed.'
Dereham have a free week coming with their next match at West Norfolk II on January 31.