Champion effort by Dereham men’s side
Cambridge Nomads 3, Dereham 6
HOCKEY: This win saw Dereham crowned champions of East Men's League Premier B Division.
The title was effectively theirs after just 10 minutes' play when they had built a 3-0 lead.
Chris Vernon opened the scoring, pouncing on Mark Timm's saved shot at the back post.
Richard Stainthorpe doubled the advantage shortly afterwards, leaving three defenders standing before beating the hapless keeper. Mark Hunter made it three with a devastating drag-flick from a short corner high into the top-right corner.
You may also want to watch:
Nomads pulled one goal back but Dereham soon restored the three-goal lead when Andy Lawrence buried a short corner low into the bottom corner.
Cambridge started the second half strongly and soon pulled a goal back through a short corner.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 3 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 4 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 5 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 6 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 7 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 8 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 9 Music to our ears: Saxophone donated to charity shop valued at £1,000
- 10 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
Man-of-the-match Richard Stainthorpe doubled his tally, again beating Nomad defenders before slotting home. He went close to his hat-trick with a reverse-stick shot which was heading toward the top corner until one of the Nomads defenders tipped the ball over the bar.
Nomads pulled another back with a short-corner strike before Dereham had the last say when Chris Vernon doubled his tally.
Dereham will look to build on the confidence gained from such a successful season and maintain their status in Premier A next season.