Champion effort by Dereham men’s side
Cambridge Nomads 3, Dereham 6
HOCKEY: This win saw Dereham crowned champions of East Men's League Premier B Division.
The title was effectively theirs after just 10 minutes' play when they had built a 3-0 lead.
Chris Vernon opened the scoring, pouncing on Mark Timm's saved shot at the back post.
Richard Stainthorpe doubled the advantage shortly afterwards, leaving three defenders standing before beating the hapless keeper. Mark Hunter made it three with a devastating drag-flick from a short corner high into the top-right corner.
Nomads pulled one goal back but Dereham soon restored the three-goal lead when Andy Lawrence buried a short corner low into the bottom corner.
Cambridge started the second half strongly and soon pulled a goal back through a short corner.
- 1 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 2 Lane of A47 reopens after serious crash following police chase
- 3 A47 closed for several hours following crash in west Norfolk
- 4 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 5 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 6 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 7 Norfolk war hero saluted at poignant service
- 8 Dereham boss ignoring favourites tag ahead of cup final
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
Man-of-the-match Richard Stainthorpe doubled his tally, again beating Nomad defenders before slotting home. He went close to his hat-trick with a reverse-stick shot which was heading toward the top corner until one of the Nomads defenders tipped the ball over the bar.
Nomads pulled another back with a short-corner strike before Dereham had the last say when Chris Vernon doubled his tally.
Dereham will look to build on the confidence gained from such a successful season and maintain their status in Premier A next season.