Charity ride by sports duo
Dereham Hockey Club goalkeeper Tom Vaughan is preparing to bike the length of the UK to raise money for a cancer charity.
Vaughan, 31 (on the left), is doing a sponsored bike ride from Land's End to John O'Groats with his brother-in-law Chris Borrett, 30, in aid of the Big C Cancer Charity. The pair are also team-mates for Norwich Cricket Club and are hoping to raise around �4,000.
Borrett said: 'Over the last few years we have both had family members and friends die from cancer. Through our involvement with sport we have an opportunity to raise a bit of money and support the work of the Big C locally.'
The pair are aiming to cover 100 miles a day, starting at 8am and biking for 10 hours to reach John O'Groats within 10 days.
Their parents will provide support throughout the trip and they will also be joined by guest riders along the way.
While neither men are avid cyclists, they have started fitness training for the 1,000 mile journey,. They are currently performing training rides and gradually building up to the 100 miles a day mark.
Borrett has played cricket for Norfolk and rugby for North Walsham, while Vaughan is part of the Dereham side who are currently flying high at the top of the East Men's Hockey League Premier B Division.
- 1 Waffle and milkshake delivery business opens in Dereham
- 2 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving car and tractor
- 4 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 5 Boris Johnson expected to announce easing of Covid-19 Plan B restrictions
- 6 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 7 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder had a 'short temper'
- 9 Railway launches appeal to restore signal box
- 10 Royal British Legion branch to celebrate 100th anniversary
Anyone wishing to sponsor the duo can find more information at www.charitybikeride2011.co.uk