Charity ride by sports duo
Dereham Hockey Club goalkeeper Tom Vaughan is preparing to bike the length of the UK to raise money for a cancer charity.
Vaughan, 31 (on the left), is doing a sponsored bike ride from Land's End to John O'Groats with his brother-in-law Chris Borrett, 30, in aid of the Big C Cancer Charity. The pair are also team-mates for Norwich Cricket Club and are hoping to raise around �4,000.
Borrett said: 'Over the last few years we have both had family members and friends die from cancer. Through our involvement with sport we have an opportunity to raise a bit of money and support the work of the Big C locally.'
The pair are aiming to cover 100 miles a day, starting at 8am and biking for 10 hours to reach John O'Groats within 10 days.
Their parents will provide support throughout the trip and they will also be joined by guest riders along the way.
While neither men are avid cyclists, they have started fitness training for the 1,000 mile journey,. They are currently performing training rides and gradually building up to the 100 miles a day mark.
Borrett has played cricket for Norfolk and rugby for North Walsham, while Vaughan is part of the Dereham side who are currently flying high at the top of the East Men's Hockey League Premier B Division.
- 1 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 2 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 3 'Proper farming' sees dairy family crowned Norfolk farm champions
- 4 Man charged in connection with burglary at Dereham home
- 5 Young people transform care home's garden in just four days
- 6 Why has my car been covered in dust?
- 7 Final details revealed ahead of Queen's Dragoon Guards freedom parade
- 8 Customers travelling especially to visit charming new café at fishery
- 9 'Being a mum is all she wants' - Fund launched for 26-year-old's IVF dream
- 10 Care home linked with grandmother's death lifted from special measures
Anyone wishing to sponsor the duo can find more information at www.charitybikeride2011.co.uk