City’s slickers maul Magpies
Dereham boss Matty Henman admitted the loss of key personnel undermined the Magpies' Norfolk Senior Cup defence.
Henman watched his side crash out of the competition 5-1 to an impressive Norwich City outfit at Aldiss Park on Tuesday night. The hosts badly missed the likes of Adam Smith, Gary Starling and Jay Eastoe-Smith, who played a vital role in the club's run to the final last season.
'We had a lot more experience and know how in the team that won at Carrow Road,' said Henman, who expects a response when Dereham return to Ridgeons Premier Division action this weekend against CRC. 'There were probably only three or four who played this time around who featured in the semi or the final. That should give others the opportunity to stamp their mark.
'I think a lot of them in our dressing room would be disappointed that the game passed them by. We didn't look like the holders at all. We were outclassed.'
City won comfortably with a hat-trick from striker Josh Murphy along with goals from Reece Hall-Johnson and Matt Ball. Billy Smith notched Dereham's reply.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham: Marshall, Willis (Marsden 77), Cusack, Gusterson, Burt, Hastings (Downes 45), Howell, Borrer, Smith, Roberts, Pledger. Goal: Smith (57).
Norwich City: Steer, Francomb, Toffolo (Barker 66), Kelly (Clunan 57), Ayala, Whitbread, Hall-Johnson, Brindley, Loza, Ball, Murphy (Florence 83). Goals: Hall-Johnson (16), Ball (20), Murphy (44, 51, 62). Attendance: 245
- 1 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 2 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 3 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 4 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 5 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 6 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 7 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 8 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 9 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 10 Stunning new show at Houghton Hall set to immerse you into a meditative state