Runners urged not to organise gatherings as parkrun UK suspends all events
- Credit: Richard Knibb
Runners have been urged not to arrange their own gatherings, after Parkrun UK cancelled its weekly Saturday morning events in response to government health precautions due to the coronavirus pandemic.
A host of Parkrun events are held around the region, a 5km free fun run or walk, including four in the Norwich area. However, none will be held from this weekend and organisers are doubtful the runs will return in April.
Members have this morning been sent an email, stating: “We’re writing to let you know that, in line with public health advice, we have taken the decision to close all parkrun events across the United Kingdom with immediate effect.
“Initially, this closure will be in place until the end of March, however this is largely to bring all parkrun countries into the same time frame and we very much expect closures to continue through April at least.
“Going forward we will update parkrunners regularly and aim to communicate important information as soon as is appropriate.”
You may also want to watch:
Events in our region include Hunstanston, Holkham, Sheringham and Blicking in north Norfolk, Great Yarmouth, Gorleston and Lowestoft on the east coast, King’s Lynn, March, Swaffham and Littleport in the west, Brandon, Thetford and Soham in the south and Lingwood, Brundall, Mulbarton and Watton centrally.
The statement, sent by Parkrun UK’s chief operating officer Tom Williams, continued: “We know that this message may be a difficult one for you to receive, and many people will be wondering what to do without their regular weekly catch-up. Please rest assured that we are working hard to develop our strategy so that we are able to support the health and happiness of parkrunners around the world during this difficult time.
- 1 Covid responsible for half of all deaths in worst hit areas of Norfolk
- 2 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 3 Dazzling display raises hundreds for hospital charity
- 4 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 5 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 6 'She was a fighter'- Tributes to music-loving Kelsey, 27
- 7 Children's home plans includes emergency housing in converted barn
- 8 Warning of delays ahead of abnormal load escort
- 9 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 10 Rugby club left 'frustrated' after finding dog mess on their pitch
“Remaining active is incredibly important, and we are working on ways to encourage and support that, however please do not arrange group gatherings at your parkrun venues while parkrun events are suspended.
“Thanks for your continued support, and please know that the parkrun family is there for you.”
- Click here to join our Norfolk Coronavirus Updates group on Facebook for all the latest updates in your community