Cup final disappointment for Wanderers

Sunday Junior Cup finalDereham Wanderers 3, Windmill 3 aet (Windmill win 4-3 on pen)WINDMILL lifted the Sunday Junior Cup in a thrilling final to decide the last county cup silverware of the season.

Sunday Junior Cup final Dereham Wanderers 3, Windmill 3 aet (Windmill win 4-3 on pens)

WINDMILL lifted the Sunday Junior Cup in a thrilling final to decide the last county cup silverware of the season.

After a game full of talking points, Windmill keeper Aaron Lindoff emerged the hero, stopping two Dereham spot-kicks in a tense shoot-out.

In the early exchanges Windmill adapted better to some very windy conditions and took a two-goal lead inside the first 25 minutes.

You may also want to watch:

Man of the match Chad Pillar seized on hesitation in the Wanderers' back line to latch onto a long ball and smash it past Nathan Baker.

Pillar added a second after a looping ball into the area had dropped favourably for the prolific striker.

Most Read

Dereham began to get the ball down and show their obvious talent. Some good football created an opening for Ricky Forder with five minutes of the half remaining and when the attacker was chopped down in the area the referee awarded a penalty, which was converted by Tom Spalding.

Dereham were on level terms, Richie Young jumping to meet a corner and heading into the net with Lindoff stranded.

Windmill regained the lead after 57 minutes when Karl Thomson rifled a rising half-volley into the top of the net after a neat lay-off by his strike partner Pillar.

As the game entered the final five minutes, Dereham were reduced to 10 men when Chris Miller was sent off after receiving his second booking of the game.

However, after Pillar had wasted a glorious opportunity to seal his hat-trick and the game, Dereham equalised in added time.

Substitute Sam Brien turned cleverly in the box and pulled his shot across Lindoff and into the far corner of the net.

In extra time, Dereham worked hard to counter Windmill's numerical advantage and came closest to finding a winner when Baker's goal kick caught the wind and bounced over Lindoff, only for the Windmill shot-stopper to recover the ball at the last minute and spare his blushes.

In the shoot out that followed, Windmill scored all four of their efforts, with Matthew Cross and Nathan Baker the unfortunate Dereham players to be thwarted by Lindoff.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter