Dan battles for trophy
KART RACING: Dereham's Dan Zelos (13) (pictured) entered the third meeting of 2011 in the Lewis Hamilton and Bernie Ecclestone-backed Formula Kart Stars (FKS) Championship at Glan Y Gors targeting a trophy, having come so close in the season curtain-raiser at Rowrah in Cumbria. He left with mission well-and-truly accomplished.
He faced FKS' fiercely-contested, 46-strong MSA British Cadet class field, the best of young British driving talent at that level.
Qualifying on the opening day yielded a promising sixth place, but Dan's two subsequent heat races saw a mixed bag of results for the Northgate High School pupil.
Somebody shunted him from behind and left him at the bottom of the order, but he fought back to 14th.
After the heavens opened, a superb third place in 'almost undriveable' conditions in heat two meant Dan started the final from 16th.
You may also want to watch:
A lightning-quick getaway vaulted the Prima Racing ace up to fourth, and he later settled down into sixth position. Carburettor problems caused him to slip back to eighth.
In Sunday's opening heat he was fifth, followed by a very solid fourth to start just outside the top ten for the final.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 3 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 4 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 5 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 6 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 7 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 8 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 9 Music to our ears: Saxophone donated to charity shop valued at £1,000
- 10 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
There, he got into the lead, but someone clipped his back right tyre, which left him with a slow puncture. He finished an excellent fourth and with a fastest lap a scant two hundredths of a second adrift of the best of the race.
He went from tenth to seventh in the FKS title standings and won his first trophy in FKS.