Dan Zelos records maiden Mini Max victory
As the 2012 British karting campaign roars into view, Dereham teenager Dan Zelos has thrown down the gauntlet to his rivals.
The Northgate High School pupil, 13, has set out his stall as a Mini Max front-runner and even recorded a maiden victory in his new class only a few weeks after making his debut in it.
Having established himself as one of the best drivers in the country at Comer Cadet level in 2011, Zelos has graduated to the more powerful and keenly-contested Mini Max category with Tooley Motorsport. He has wasted little time in demonstrating that he will continue to be a force to be reckoned with as his burgeoning career shifts up a gear.
'It's going really well,' he said. 'We've come into Mini Max and been immediately up at the front and battling with drivers who finished in the top ten nationally last year. I'm actually quite surprised that we've settled into it all so quickly. In Cadets, it took me a couple of years to get fully up-to-speed, but in Mini Max, it's taken only a few weeks.
'It seems to suit my driving style better; there's a lot more grip, and you need to have strong arms for that, so I've really stepped up my fitness programme this year. You've generally just got to be much tougher in Mini Max – both physically and mentally.'
You may also want to watch:
Zelos' first Mini Max triumph came at Rowrah, as he defeated a host of local specialists around the demanding Cumbrian circuit.
After that he headed to Whilton Mill in Northants ready to test his mettle against 30 of his very fiercest adversaries.
- 1 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 2 Organiser humbled as 210 strong Land Rover convoy raises over £3,000
- 3 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 4 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 5 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
- 6 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 7 'The company was becoming the story' - Under fire care home firm to sell up
- 8 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 9 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 10 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
Finishing fifth, 10th and first in his heats placed Zelos fourth on the grid for the final.
He went on to grab a podium place by finishing third, a scant six tenths of a second