Darts ace Ryan wins battle of youth versus experience
- Credit: Archant
The finals night of the WW Rent A Van Dereham Thursday Darts League was held at the town's football club.
The League Division Two title was won convincingly by one of last season's relegated sides Dereham Cricket Club who bounced straight back while only losing one match all season.
Runners-up were Gemini who were pushed all the way by Toftwood Social Club B, with all three teams being promoted.
The First Division was a lot closer, going down to the final week, with Swaffham Conservative Club retaining their title, with the Royal Standard pushing them all the way.
The semi-finals of the Subsidiary Cup were Dereham Cricket Club v Longham White Horse and Gressenhall Social Club v Mattishall Swan. Cricket Club took a 5-4 lead into the second leg but Longham fought back to win 10-8 overall to progress into the final. Mattishall Swan found it a bit easier in their first leg, winning 7-2, and winning 5-4 in the second.
The Main KO Cup semis were Royal Standard v Toftwood Social Club B and Swaffham Conservative Club v Toftwood Social Club A. Both Toftwood sides suffered heavy first leg defeats, losing 8-1 and 7-2 respectively. The second legs scores were Swaffham 6 Toftwood SC A 3 and Royal Standard 6 Toftwood SC B 3, setting up a final between the top two teams in the league.
The league pairs semi-finals were between Gavin Cooper/Dave Middleton (Gressenhall SC) and Peter Dobbs/Chris Bush (Red Lion). In a close game Gavin and Dave won 3-1. The same scoreline saw Kev Easton/Steve Connor (Cherry Tree) through against Paul Robinson/Andy Rymer (Red Lion). The final was close but Kevin and Steve won 3-1.
- 1 Man taken to hospital after being punched and kicked in Dereham assault
- 2 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 3 Class A and B drug dealer jailed for more than two years
- 4 'Threat to democracy' - Opposition fears council's constitution change
- 5 'Somebody has to foot the bill' - Inflation forces greengrocer to up prices
- 6 Baby murder trial jury told birth referred to safeguarding team
- 7 Revamp of beloved garden planned as part of Queen's Jubilee celebrations
- 8 Waffle and milkshake delivery business opens in Dereham
- 9 Scores in Norfolk caught up in DVLA driving licence delays
- 10 Soprano wins Norfolk Young Musician 2022 competition
The league singles semi-finals were between Ben Vincent (Hingham SC) and Ryan Fitt (Dereham CC) and Donny Forder (Yaxham SC) and Willie Walpole (Longham WH). Ryan overcame Ben 3-0 and Donny beat Willy 3-1. This set up a final between Donny, who has won most things in local darts, and Ryan, who is just starting his senior career. Donny took the first leg but Ryan replied by winning the next three to take the title.
There were 138 180s and 77 check outs of 100 or more, over the course of the season. The highest out-shot was 156 by Gerry Gordon (Toftwood SC A).