Derby match has a thrilling finish as Dereham’s final pair secure win for team
- Credit: Archant
Saturday's derby match between Dereham and Mattishall in Division One of the Norfolk Alliance was a real thriller, with the outcome in doubt right up to the very end.
Mattishall looked set to claim the spoils when they reduced their hosts to 148-9 chasing a total of 175, but last pair Liam Cameron and Soren Gauntlett then knucked down to see their side home.
The dramatic one-wicket triumph made it five successive wins for Dereham, who are now up to fourth in the table. Mattishall dropped to the foot of the table after their sixth defeat in seven, but on this evidence they have the ability to get themselves out of trouble.
After winning the toss and electing to bat first Mattishall struggled early on and needed a couple of good knocks down the order to get up to 175 in the final over. Daniel Weber made an unbeaten 47 and Tom Spalding 40, while Gauntlett was the most successful Dereham bowler, taking 3-32.
Daniel and David Lake, with 43 and 28 respectively, were the only batsmen to make notable contributions early on for Dereham as they were made to battle for their runs.
You may also want to watch:
But fortunately for the hosts there was a sting in the tail, with Cameron (20 not out) and Gauntlett (14 not out) seeing theirm side home with an unbroken 10th wicket partnershup of 30. Spalding led Mattishall's effort with figures of 3-35 while Gordon Chetwood took 2-25.
On Sunday Dereham bowed out of the Lady Mary Trophy. Opponents Brooke made 348-6 (Matt Collinge 145) and despite a good effort Dereham lost by 42 runs after being dismissed for 306. Mattishall received a walk-over.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 4 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 5 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 6 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 7 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 8 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 9 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 10 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
Dereham are at home to Lowestoft in the Alliance on Saturday while Mattishall host Swardeston A. Both matches start at 1pm.
Mattishall A piled up the runs in Division Five, beating Swardeston/CEYMS by 97 runs after making 305-7 in their 45 overs. Ben Hudson (81), Keenan Stokes (69) and Matthew Milne (55) were the main contributors. Swardeston got nowhere near their target, but lost only two wickets in finishing on 213.
Dereham A lost to Bradfield A by 40 runs in Division Six. Chasing 197-8 they were all out for 157, with Tom Head (71) and Sam West (50) scoring the bulk of the runs.