Dereham continue solid start
Dereham's solid start in Alliance Division Two continued with a winning draw against lowly Sheringham. On Saturday they host Fakenham A.
Electing to bat on a very dry wicket, second-placed Dereham had David Lake bowled with the score on nine, and Joe Marczewski was bowled by a grass-cutter.
Jake Anema (28) was in a 60 partnership which saw the ball dispatched to all parts. Skipper Duncan Hewitt (55) again passed another half-century then big-hitting Phil Milbourne made a fast-flowing 56. Dereham set 231 to win.
Hewitt had few bowling options. Anema started with medium pace along with Nic Cains, who caught a bullet of a return shot. They restricted Sheringham Anema's 5-53 doing the damage.
Sheringham, after 23 overs, decided to shut up shop. After they lost their ninth wicket with five balls remaining, Dereham tried everything.
'Eighteen points won and still the unbeaten run continues,' said Hewitt. 'The last piece of today's jigsaw was hard to find, we tried everything..to gain the win.'
- 1 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 2 Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- 3 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
- 4 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Village pub to finally reopen after being shut for four years
- 7 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 8 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 9 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
Dereham: Lake b Moy 5, Hewitt lbw Sturgess 55, Marczewski b Youngs 4, Anema c Smith 28, Irons c Moy 8, Milbourne c Sturgess 56, Perrin West c Spillett 12, Cheetham b Sturgess 8, Fletcher not out 23, Burrage not out 13. Total 230-8. Bowling: Youngs 7-0-35-1, Moy 12-0-51-2, Smith 12-1-54-1, Sturgess 11-1-56-3, Spillett 4-0-25-1.
Sheringham: Sturgess c-b Cains 8, Sturgess c Cains b Anema 23, Smith c Cheetham b Anema 32, Spillett st Burrage b Anema 9, Neare c Fletcher b Anema 0, Hudson c-b Anema 2, Norris b Cheetham 4, Igood not out 26, Bailey b Cheetham 20, Youngs b Fletcher 24, Moys not out 1. Total 176-9. Bowling: Cains 10-2-42-1, Anema 12-1-53-5, Fletcher 8-1-42-1, Cheetham 12-4-24-2, Hewitt 4-0-9-0.