Dereham draw with league leaders - after twice being ahead
Dereham put in an encouraging performance at Greenfields Road to hold East League Premier B leaders Ipswich and East Suffolk to a 2-2 draw.
Dereham looked dangerous from the start, with midfielder and vice-captain Will Edwards making a number of powerful runs from midfield.
It was from one of these that Dereham took the lead, Edwards taking the ball smartly round the keeper and finishing into the empty net.
IES enjoyed spells of possession but rarely threatened the Dereham goal. However on a rare flurry into the D IES were awarded a controversial penalty flick after a forward was taken down by the keeper Matt Collinge and it was converted to leave the scores even at half-time.
Dereham rallied after the break and looked threatening going forward, many attacks orchestrated by the veteran Richard Stainthorpe. Dereham took the lead again as South-African player-coach Matthew Pickering slotted home from a short corner.
You may also want to watch:
IES were then awarded another penalty flick after a short corner hit captain Ed Turner on the line and the visitors again converted to secure a point.
Dereham can take many positives from the game, especially from the improvement of the younger members of the team, but will be disappointed not to have won. They visit Cambridge University II on Saturday.
- 1 Step in the right direction for neglected footpath
- 2 Sir David Attenborough praises Dereham school’s eco achievements
- 3 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 4 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 5 Part of A47 closed after concerns for woman’s welfare
- 6 Armed forces to be honoured in council ceremony
- 7 Norfolk council agrees to go smoke free at headquarters
- 8 Your Say: Will Dereham locals go on holiday abroad this summer?
- 9 Hot property - Homes selling just days after being on market
- 10 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
Dereham Ladies suffered a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Bedford II in East League Division 1N. They are at St Neots at the weekend.
In the Empresa Norfolk League Premier Division Evergreens got back on track with a convincing 3-0 win against Norwich Dragons’ fifth team.
Evergreens dominated the opening period and were pretty much camped in the attacking half for the duration. Catherine Cooke notched the first goal with a great solo dribbling movement into the D and strike on goal. Katie Howell was second on the scoresheet with a cracking hit from a well executed short corner routine and shortly before half-time Cooke got her brace.
The second half was goalless but Evergreens had two disallowed.
Player-of-the-match was Katie Glover-Leech while the defence of Stacey Preston, Mary Dye and goalie Laura Robinson also impressed.