Dereham draw with league leaders - after twice being ahead
Dereham put in an encouraging performance at Greenfields Road to hold East League Premier B leaders Ipswich and East Suffolk to a 2-2 draw.
Dereham looked dangerous from the start, with midfielder and vice-captain Will Edwards making a number of powerful runs from midfield.
It was from one of these that Dereham took the lead, Edwards taking the ball smartly round the keeper and finishing into the empty net.
IES enjoyed spells of possession but rarely threatened the Dereham goal. However on a rare flurry into the D IES were awarded a controversial penalty flick after a forward was taken down by the keeper Matt Collinge and it was converted to leave the scores even at half-time.
Dereham rallied after the break and looked threatening going forward, many attacks orchestrated by the veteran Richard Stainthorpe. Dereham took the lead again as South-African player-coach Matthew Pickering slotted home from a short corner.
You may also want to watch:
IES were then awarded another penalty flick after a short corner hit captain Ed Turner on the line and the visitors again converted to secure a point.
Dereham can take many positives from the game, especially from the improvement of the younger members of the team, but will be disappointed not to have won. They visit Cambridge University II on Saturday.
- 1 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 2 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 3 Music to our ears: Saxophone donated to charity shop valued at £1,000
- 4 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 5 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 6 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 7 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 8 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 9 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 10 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
Dereham Ladies suffered a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Bedford II in East League Division 1N. They are at St Neots at the weekend.
In the Empresa Norfolk League Premier Division Evergreens got back on track with a convincing 3-0 win against Norwich Dragons’ fifth team.
Evergreens dominated the opening period and were pretty much camped in the attacking half for the duration. Catherine Cooke notched the first goal with a great solo dribbling movement into the D and strike on goal. Katie Howell was second on the scoresheet with a cracking hit from a well executed short corner routine and shortly before half-time Cooke got her brace.
The second half was goalless but Evergreens had two disallowed.
Player-of-the-match was Katie Glover-Leech while the defence of Stacey Preston, Mary Dye and goalie Laura Robinson also impressed.