Dereham Hockey Club’s ladies third team bounce back from crushing defeat
Marshall Motors Norfolk Ladies Hockey League
Dereham III 5 Watton II 3
After their disappointing 9-0 loss last week against Panthers, Dereham were feeling a little bruised but started the game brightly. Despite lots of hard work and opportunities to open the scoring it was Watton, who on the break, against the run of play, found the net first.
Dereham continued to pressurise the Watton goal and after a goal mouth scramble were awarded a penalty flick. It was well taken but the Watton goalie made a very good save to keep them in the lead. Watton improved on their lead shortly aferwards but Dereham kept up their efforts and were at last rewarded with a goal from Fran Grapes to get their game up and running. This was shortly followed by a goal from Imo Walker, playing her first game for the 3rds, just before the half time whistle.
Dereham's defensive marking was tight and the defence and midfield began looking for gaps and opportunities to start off some attacking runs. Chloe Cushion-Swales found opportunities to clear to Ellie Davison on the right who made quick runs down the wing. One of these runs resulted in a cross to Jackie Taylor waiting in the goalmouth who slipped the ball into the net, putting Dereham in the lead. Another similar run from the right ended in the same manoeuvre and Taylor found the goal for a second time. Similar runs were started by Frey Reid-Edwards on the left to Becca Smith Ames and Gemma Pointer. Dereham's spirits were now on the up and a few more chances were created before Davison herself scored after another quick run down the right.
You may also want to watch:
Watton weren't giving up easily and kept the pressure on the Dereham goal until the end of the game. Although Megan Ballman made significant saves Watton were rewarded with their third goal a few minutes from time.
Dereham player of the match was Freya Reid-Edwards for her solid defending and vision.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
- 3 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 4 Dereham's plans for Remembrance services announced
- 5 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 6 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 7 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 8 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 9 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 10 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
Dereham Squad: Megan Ballman (GK), Chloe Cushion-Swales, Ellie Davison, Fran Grapes, Alice Guest, Lollie James, Leoni Pagett, Gemma Pointer, Freya Reid-Edwards, Becca Smith-Ames, Charlotte Tankard, Jackie Taylor, Imo Walker, Fi Waters (Capt).