Dereham Hockey Club’s senior teams both have to settle for 1-1 draws
- Credit: Archant
Both Dereham's senior teams had to settle for 1-1 home draws at the weekend.
Dereham Ladies were disappointed with their result against Newmarket in Division One North of the East League after winning their opening fixture 3-1 at St Ives.
Despite dominating the game Dereham were unable to capitalise on their lead and win the game.
The hard work from the midfield of Sarah Steele, Georgie Edwards, Becca Colman and Grace Cresswell finally paid off in the second half when Colman put away a well worked short corner.
Dereham held into this narrow lead until the dying stages of the game when an umpiring decision went against them, giving Newmarket a short corner in the last play of the game.
They expertly put this in the back of the net to deny the home side a second straight win.
With a harsh lesson learnt that a one goal lead is never enough, Dereham go into their next game at Harleston Magpies seconds on Saturday with an attacking focus.
- 1 Fears access road for new housing will be built on sacred land
- 2 Biker taken to hospital after crash involving SUV
- 3 Village chapel could be converted into homes
- 4 Troops parade through Dereham after being given freedom of the town
- 5 Why this Dereham store is attracting athletes from across the UK
- 6 Chance to try leisure centre for free at open day
- 7 Drink driver caught at three times legal limit on A1067
- 8 Developer requests not to contribute £100,000 for affordable housing
- 9 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 10 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
Joint players of the match were Georgie Edwards and captain Becca Colman.
Colchester and Norwich City are the early pacesetters after winning both their opening matches.
Dereham's men maintained their unbeaten start to the East League Premier season at the weekend with a 1-1 draw against Wisbech.
The home team enjoyed long periods of pressure throughout the game, but found themselves behind at half-time after a breakaway goal.
Dereham piled on the pressure throughout the second half and were rewarded with a well-taken short corner finish from vice-captain Will Edwards.
The hosts were inches away from a winning goal in the last 10 minutes, with forward Falko Rosbergen hitting the post after a well-worked move.
Dereham will be looking to build on this performance on Saturday when they make the long trip to Watford to face West Herts.
City of Peterborough II and Ipswich and ES are the only sides with 100pc records.
Dereham Ladies II also drew 1-1 at Bury St Edmunds to make it four points from their opening two games in Division 2NE of the East League.
Dereham Men's II bounced back from an opening day defeat in Division 2N by winning 1-0 at UEA.