Dereham hockey promotion hopes even higher
Dereham 3,Long Sutton 1
DEREHAM took another step to promotion from East Men's Hockey League Premier B.
They created some good early chances but found the Long Sutton defence in outstanding form.
Sutton pounced on a stray Dereham ball and keeper Tom Vaughan's great double save kept them out.
A fine move started by Will Edwards led to the opening Dereham goal. He ghosted past three defenders and played a one-two with Michael Timm which left Edwards an open goal.
You may also want to watch:
The same combination delivered the second goal. Edwards was proving too hot to handle down the left, and he again drifted into the D and was brought down for a penalty flick, converted by Timm.
Sam Plater broke through the Sutton defence and was brought down for the second flick of the game. Timm saw his powerful effort saved by the keeper.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 3 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 4 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 5 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 6 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 7 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 8 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 9 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 10 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
Dereham started the second half strongly and Richard Stainthorpe increased the lead with an unstoppable reverse-stick shot.
Man of the match Matt Stainthorpe was instrumental in ensuring Dereham had further opportunities to add to their lead but a combination of good saves and wasteful finishing meant that the score remained at just three.
Sutton pulled a goal back towards the end of the game through a short corner, but rarely troubled the Dereham defence.