Dereham hockey promotion hopes even higher
Dereham 3,Long Sutton 1
DEREHAM took another step to promotion from East Men's Hockey League Premier B.
They created some good early chances but found the Long Sutton defence in outstanding form.
Sutton pounced on a stray Dereham ball and keeper Tom Vaughan's great double save kept them out.
A fine move started by Will Edwards led to the opening Dereham goal. He ghosted past three defenders and played a one-two with Michael Timm which left Edwards an open goal.
The same combination delivered the second goal. Edwards was proving too hot to handle down the left, and he again drifted into the D and was brought down for a penalty flick, converted by Timm.
Sam Plater broke through the Sutton defence and was brought down for the second flick of the game. Timm saw his powerful effort saved by the keeper.
- 1 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 2 Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- 3 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 4 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 9 Dereham boss ignoring favourites tag ahead of cup final
- 10 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
Dereham started the second half strongly and Richard Stainthorpe increased the lead with an unstoppable reverse-stick shot.
Man of the match Matt Stainthorpe was instrumental in ensuring Dereham had further opportunities to add to their lead but a combination of good saves and wasteful finishing meant that the score remained at just three.
Sutton pulled a goal back towards the end of the game through a short corner, but rarely troubled the Dereham defence.