Dereham hockey team surrender top spot
Dereham 2,Cambridge University II 2
HOCKEY: Dereham surrendered top spot in East Men's League Premier B as they let a two-goal lead slip to draw at home.
Dereham moved the ball across the pitch with ease, and set up a number of attacks, but they were unable to convert their chances.
They eventually found the back of the net following a drag-flicked short corner from top scorer Sam Plater, who placed his shot high into the top left corner.
One became two shortly afterwards when Andy Lawrence hit a short corner low to the keeper's right, and although the keeper made a good save, Will Edwards slotted home the rebound. Cambridge had a few attacks, but were unable to break down the Dereham defence.
The second half started with an error after 10 seconds in the Dereham defence which immediately handed possession to the students, who scored. This spurred Dereham forward, but they were again unable to find the final touch.
- 1 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 2 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 3 Households report supply issues and buses diverted due to burst water main
- 4 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 5 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 6 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast rehearses over Norfolk
- 7 A47 reopens after man seriously injured in crash following police chase
- 8 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 9 12 missing Norfolk people feature in new hi-tech campaign
- 10 Sue Gray report finds lockdown party behaviour was 'unacceptable'
Dereham lost Plater midway through the half to a hamstring injury, and Cambridge scored an equaliser with 15 minutes to go, as a long ball into the D was deflected into the net. Dereham missed chances to score the winner.