Dereham maintain bright start as Anema’s late strike settles it
- Credit: IAN BURT
Dereham Town made it six points out of six on Tuesday evening as their promising start to the Bostik League Division One North season continued at newly promoted Mildenhall.
A fortuitous late goal from man-of-the-match Jake Anema earned the Magpies the points.
Neal Simmons' side will now be looking to keep up the good work on Saturday afternoon (3) when they entertain Corby Town in the preliminary round of the FA Cup.
In the fifth minute Owen Murphy headed Anema's long throw into home keeper Sam Roach's arms.
Play was fast and furious and end to end and Dereham spurned a good opportunity in the 12th minute.
You may also want to watch:
Rhys Logan was put clean through inside the box on the right and Roach saved his low drive, with two teammates looking for a pull back. Dereham then did get the ball in the net but Jamie Forshaw's long range effort was disallowed for an infringement.
Mildenhall created a chance when Matthew Green headed Jake Kerin's long centre wide. As they threatened again visiting keeper Elliot Pride made a great full length save to keep out Green's fierce 20 yard drive.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 3 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 4 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 5 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 6 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 7 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 8 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 9 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 10 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
As play switched ends Magpies skipper David Hinton struck a rasping drive that flew inches wide. They went close again, with Anema glancing Danny Beaumont's free-kick wide.
After the break Dereham nearly opened the scoring when a cross was deflected into a post. Mildenhall's Shaun Avis was then denied by another fine stop from Pride to keep out his close range effort. Logan was seeing little of the ball but when he was released in a quick counter attack he fired inches wide.
Minutes later Logan rattled the Mildenhall post as the Magpies' pressure continued. They were rewarded in the 88th minute when the excellent Anema's long range effort was deflected over the keeper and into the net to secure the points.
Mildenhall: S Roach, J Kerins, J Brown, L Butcher, D Crow, G Simpson, J Chambers-Shaw, M Green, C Bacon, S Avis(K Huxtable 69th min) J Asensi. Subs: W Evans, R Taylor, J Hilton, S Odeleye.
Dereham: E Pride, J Anema, S Taylor, R Linford, J Eastoe-Smith, M Castellan, R Logan, D Hinton, D Beaumont, J Forshaw, O Murphy. Subs: J Bibby, S Dodden, O Ebbage, A Bean.