Dereham rugby team impresses with big score
Dereham 47, Lakenham Hewett 0
RUGBY: After suffering a narrow defeat in their first league fixture of the season against Broadland, Dereham were looking to get their season on track with a win against a strong Lakenham Hewett side.
Dereham started strongly and at a high tempo. They soon worked themselves into the visitors' 22, and off the back of a scrum Ponder and Lake combined well to provide the first try of the afternoon.
Evans provided vital ground for the home side with a strong display of kicking and precise work at the line-outs.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham's forwards dominated at the set plays with the welcome return of Murphy adding experience and power to the pack.
After another well-worked move from the home forwards, quick ball was delivered for the backs, Fish cut back inside and chipped over the Lakenham defensive line to break through and collect the ball for an impressive solo try.
- 1 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 2 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 3 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 4 Fears raised over Western Link surveying work
- 5 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 6 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 7 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 8 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
Tries from Rayner and Edwards before the break meant the home side went into the second half with a comfortable lead.
Dereham started the second half slowly and only strong defensive tackles from Chester and Dunsire denied the visitors a score.
Dereham's pace in the backs then started to overwhelm the visitors as the home side soon ran in a clutch of well-worked tries with Rayner adding his second of the day and Fish getting his second from a fine move with Chester after the inside centre broke from within his own half.
Canning worked well off the back of the line-outs, punching big holes in the defensive lines and setting the ball well.
Dereham finished the game comfortable victors. Captain Head said: 'I am very pleased with the team's performance and the result today.
'Although we won we still know there are things to improve on and we wish to build on this to progress further in the league'.
Next, Dereham face league debutants Mildenhall away.