Dereham runners claim the Visitors Cup honours for second year on the trot
- Credit: Archant
Sunday deep in the woods at Shouldham Warren saw 19 juniors and three senior Dereham runners compete in the final Ryston Cross-Country Grand Prix of the season.
With it being the last meeting of the cross-country season there were points to be won. These were achieved over the age groups with 17 recorded, including four personal bests.
U9 girls: 2nd Ellen Symonds 3.10, 3rd Larissa Jones 3.15 (pb) and 7th Aisha Elouassi 3.34. U11 boys: Jacob Last was 7th 9.13, Kai Wiseman 10th 9.32, Tobias Cheesborough 12th 9.35, Louis Preston 16th 9.58, Bradley Sumner 21st 10.58 and Ethan Barrett 22nd 11.06.
U11 girls: Imogen Davey 6th 10.02 and Anya McNulty 11th 11.57. U13 boys: Ali Elouassi 7th 14.17. U13 girls: Memphis Symonds 1st 12.17, Tia Crane 2nd 12.29 and Beth Barrett 6th 15.21.
U15 boys: Sam Anderton 6th 13.36. U15 girls: Ellie Foster 2nd 12.31 and Erin McNulty 4th 13.11. U17 girls: Abi Foster 1st 29.32 (pb). Senior men: Matthew Freezer 9th 28.31 (pb).
Vet 35 women: Kareana Symonds 5th 33.36. Vet 50 women: Carol Devlin 1st 25.46 (pb).
After the runners crossed the line the totals were topped up and added to results from the previous five meetings and Dereham found themselves rewarded by winning the Ryston Runners Cross-Country Grand Prix Visitors Cup for the second year running.
- 1 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 2 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 3 'You've got to diversify' - cafe and gallery owner braves expansion
- 4 A trip to the fair helps Norfolk man remember
- 5 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 6 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 7 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 10 Queen's Jubilee: All the events happening in the Dereham area
On an individual note, nine Dereham runners were awarded trophies for finishing in the top three for their age groups. Seven of those were juniors. These were U9 girls Ellen Symonds second and Larissa Jones third. U13 girls Memphis Symonds first and Tia Crane second. U15 girls: Ellie Foster third. U17 girls: Abi Foster first. U17 boys: Jake Stearman first. Vet 35 women: Kareana Symonds third and Vet 50 women: Carol Delvin first.
This was a fitting end to the winter campaign to finish on such a high. The juniors dedicated winning the trophy for a second year running to Ann and Clive Baker who for many at the club have been with them coaching and encouraging them over the past few years at numerous track and cross country events across the country, rain or shine, and who both have stepped down this month to retire to Wales to be close to their family.
Many thanks go to them both from all the Dereham Junior runners and their parents.