Dereham Runners in fine form as Elizabeth Daly takes second place at Holkham event
- Credit: Archant
Another strong showing by Dereham Runners AC in 10k road races over the weekend resulted in a podium place for Elizabeth Daly at Holkham, and another impressive display of speed and grit by Louise Juby at Freethorpe.
At Holkham on Saturday Daly covered the course in a speedy 42.48, making her second female finisher in a field of 550 runners.
High temperatures and a late midday start slowed most competitors slightly, though not Ash Gilbert, who powered home in just 40.26 and finished in 10th place overall.
Other Dereham Runners and their times were Craig Rogers (45.23), James Nice (47.12) James Davis (48.51) and Mark Hunter-Lines (51.03).
The race, which preceded the popular Outlaw Triathlon the following day, took place on a traffic-free course around the picturesque Holkham Estate, and was judged by many to be one of the best-organised and most enjoyable 10k runs staged in Norfolk this year.
The following day more than a dozen DRAC runners travelled to Freethorpe for the Humpy Dumpty 10k, organised by Great Yarmouth AC and part of the Leathes Prior Grand Prix series.
Once again Louise Juby impressed with a new PB of 41.39, making her first senior female, and fourth female finisher overall.
- 1 Man injured teen with catapult after supermarket row
- 2 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 3 Volunteer exodus puts future of beloved windmill under threat
- 4 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 5 Huge solar farm proposed near Roman site
- 6 Town centre set to welcome vegan street food truck
- 7 What the average UK house price can buy you in Norfolk's towns
- 8 Decision over funding for Queen Mother's Garden revamp delayed
- 9 Father accused of baby murder blamed car seat for bruise
- 10 Revealed: The 20 areas of Norfolk 'regularly at risk of flooding'
Steven Lee also performed well, crossing the line in 33rd place with a fast time of 40.50.
Carol Devlin again won her 50-54 age category with 43.25.
The other Dereham Runners at Freethorpe were: Andrew Hood (43.55), Emma Potter-Campbell (45.28), Andy Rowles (46.15), Michael Barrett (48.41), Lacey Bareham (49.56), Philip Websdale (51.10), Louise Hudson (51.49), Stuart Lusher (52.07), Rory Campbell (58.38), Amanda Baker (1.02.10) and Hazel Cason (1.08.30).
The indefatigable Ian Odgers completed just two marathons this weekend, both part of the Great Barrow Challenge launched from Bury St Edmunds.
Following the hilly Thetford route on Saturday, Odgers finished in 5-42.09, but managed a faster pace on the Newmarket route on Sunday, covering the 26.2 miles in 5-13.34.