Dereham Runners in fine form as Elizabeth Daly takes second place at Holkham event
- Credit: Archant
Another strong showing by Dereham Runners AC in 10k road races over the weekend resulted in a podium place for Elizabeth Daly at Holkham, and another impressive display of speed and grit by Louise Juby at Freethorpe.
At Holkham on Saturday Daly covered the course in a speedy 42.48, making her second female finisher in a field of 550 runners.
High temperatures and a late midday start slowed most competitors slightly, though not Ash Gilbert, who powered home in just 40.26 and finished in 10th place overall.
Other Dereham Runners and their times were Craig Rogers (45.23), James Nice (47.12) James Davis (48.51) and Mark Hunter-Lines (51.03).
The race, which preceded the popular Outlaw Triathlon the following day, took place on a traffic-free course around the picturesque Holkham Estate, and was judged by many to be one of the best-organised and most enjoyable 10k runs staged in Norfolk this year.
You may also want to watch:
The following day more than a dozen DRAC runners travelled to Freethorpe for the Humpy Dumpty 10k, organised by Great Yarmouth AC and part of the Leathes Prior Grand Prix series.
Once again Louise Juby impressed with a new PB of 41.39, making her first senior female, and fourth female finisher overall.
- 1 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 2 IN PICTURES: Flying Scotsman in all its glory on the Mid Norfolk Railway
- 3 How to see the Flying Scotsman in Norfolk this October
- 4 Husband donates £1m to cancer research so 'no one else goes through same pain'
- 5 Former army officer resigns as councillor for 'personal reasons'
- 6 Coffee morning raises more than £2,000 for charity
- 7 'Bring it on' - New chief executive appointed to district council
- 8 Students and staff come together for celebration of high school's history
- 9 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 10 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
Steven Lee also performed well, crossing the line in 33rd place with a fast time of 40.50.
Carol Devlin again won her 50-54 age category with 43.25.
The other Dereham Runners at Freethorpe were: Andrew Hood (43.55), Emma Potter-Campbell (45.28), Andy Rowles (46.15), Michael Barrett (48.41), Lacey Bareham (49.56), Philip Websdale (51.10), Louise Hudson (51.49), Stuart Lusher (52.07), Rory Campbell (58.38), Amanda Baker (1.02.10) and Hazel Cason (1.08.30).
The indefatigable Ian Odgers completed just two marathons this weekend, both part of the Great Barrow Challenge launched from Bury St Edmunds.
Following the hilly Thetford route on Saturday, Odgers finished in 5-42.09, but managed a faster pace on the Newmarket route on Sunday, covering the 26.2 miles in 5-13.34.