Dereham’s final say
CUP final fever has now hit Dereham Town Football Club. This season could be the most successful in the club's 126-year history, with four cup finals to look forward to over the next few weeks.
Aldiss Park manager Ginny Barnes, commented: 'It's not unusual to experience cup fever at Aldiss Park, as we host cup finals for various leagues at this time of year, but this season it's our teams who have a chance of gaining the silverware.'
'Everyone is well aware that the first team have reached the Norfolk Senior Cup final, which is scheduled to be played at Carrow Road, and obviously we were all disappointed when the cup final was postponed.
'However, this has now given us extra time to prepare as we had several players who would have missed the final due to suspension, holiday or injury. We can now concentrate on getting everyone fit for the final, when the date is announced.'
Last Thursday evening the Under-18 team beat Stowmarket Town 5-2 in the semi-finals of the Ridgeons Youth League Cup, and will play Gorleston in the final at Diss Town FC on Wednesday, April 27 (kick-off 7.45pm).
You may also want to watch:
'This is a great achievement for the lads. The team was very successful last season winning the Ridgeons Youth League Championship Trophy, however this is a different set of players who've had an extremely good season, and fully deserve to be in the final,' added Mrs Barnes.
The A side have a chance of repeating last season's success, when they won two league trophies, the Fen Regis Shield and the Ambulance Cup.
- 1 Covid heroes recognised at special awards evening
- 2 Meet the great-grandmother who has raised more than £100,000 for her church
- 3 Your Say: Should face masks be made a legal requirement again?
- 4 Overnight road closures expected on part of A47
- 5 Buses delayed by queues at petrol stations
- 6 Zara, 8, conquers virtual mountain climb amid mum's cancer battle
- 7 Stunning aerial photo shows Norfolk cemetery shaped like a leaf
- 8 Dereham boxer Emma has world title ambitions
- 9 Dereham pub set to host beer and blues festival
- 10 Petrol station queues causing rush-hour delays
'This year we could have a change of silverware in the trophy cabinet. On Thursday, April 21 (ko 7.30pm) we will play Thetford Rovers Reserves for the Junior League Cup and then on Bank Holiday, Monday, May 2 the lads will have an early start against Yaxham when they kick-off at 10am in the Ben Smith Memorial Cup Final.'
Both of these matches will be played at Aldiss Park along with the other five Crown Fire Central and South Norfolk League finals.
'We're all hoping our supporters will get behind all the teams and wear our colours with pride.