Dereham’s final say
CUP final fever has now hit Dereham Town Football Club. This season could be the most successful in the club's 126-year history, with four cup finals to look forward to over the next few weeks.
Aldiss Park manager Ginny Barnes, commented: 'It's not unusual to experience cup fever at Aldiss Park, as we host cup finals for various leagues at this time of year, but this season it's our teams who have a chance of gaining the silverware.'
'Everyone is well aware that the first team have reached the Norfolk Senior Cup final, which is scheduled to be played at Carrow Road, and obviously we were all disappointed when the cup final was postponed.
'However, this has now given us extra time to prepare as we had several players who would have missed the final due to suspension, holiday or injury. We can now concentrate on getting everyone fit for the final, when the date is announced.'
Last Thursday evening the Under-18 team beat Stowmarket Town 5-2 in the semi-finals of the Ridgeons Youth League Cup, and will play Gorleston in the final at Diss Town FC on Wednesday, April 27 (kick-off 7.45pm).
'This is a great achievement for the lads. The team was very successful last season winning the Ridgeons Youth League Championship Trophy, however this is a different set of players who've had an extremely good season, and fully deserve to be in the final,' added Mrs Barnes.
The A side have a chance of repeating last season's success, when they won two league trophies, the Fen Regis Shield and the Ambulance Cup.
- 1 Man taken to hospital after being punched and kicked in Dereham assault
- 2 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 3 Class A and B drug dealer jailed for more than two years
- 4 'Threat to democracy' - Opposition fears council's constitution change
- 5 Baby murder trial jury told birth referred to safeguarding team
- 6 'Somebody has to foot the bill' - Inflation forces greengrocer to up prices
- 7 Scores in Norfolk caught up in DVLA driving licence delays
- 8 Waffle and milkshake delivery business opens in Dereham
- 9 Revamp of beloved garden planned as part of Queen's Jubilee celebrations
- 10 Soprano wins Norfolk Young Musician 2022 competition
'This year we could have a change of silverware in the trophy cabinet. On Thursday, April 21 (ko 7.30pm) we will play Thetford Rovers Reserves for the Junior League Cup and then on Bank Holiday, Monday, May 2 the lads will have an early start against Yaxham when they kick-off at 10am in the Ben Smith Memorial Cup Final.'
Both of these matches will be played at Aldiss Park along with the other five Crown Fire Central and South Norfolk League finals.
'We're all hoping our supporters will get behind all the teams and wear our colours with pride.