Dereham’s promotion hopes suffer big blow as they lose penultimate game
- Credit: Archant
Dereham's promotion challenge in Division One of the Norfolk Alliance suffered a potentially fatal blow at they weekend when they lost their penultimate fixture of the season.
Duncan Hewitt's side went down by 21 runs at Lowestoft to slip down to fourth position ahead of their final home game against Swardeston A (12.30pm).
They must now beat the leaders, while hoping Stow and Diss lose to Vauxhall Mallards A and Lowestoft respectively, to claim a place in the top flight.
A second wicket partnership of 119 between skipper Tom Brice (85) and Nathan Garrod (54) helped Lowestoft reach 218 after being asked to bat first.
Josh McAvoy (34) and Craig Guy (20) added useful runs down the order while Soren Gauntlett took 4-35 for Dereham.
You may also want to watch:
In reply the visitors slipped to 75-5 before a partnership of 61 between Liam Cameron (61 not out) and Jake Anema (26) gave them hope.
But they struggled to keep up with the required rate and finished in 197-9.
- 1 Farmers hope to open egg shop in football club car park
- 2 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 3 Watch: 91-year-old woman's stirring poem 'Wake Up Britain'
- 4 Your Say - What are Dereham's favourite shops?
- 5 New home and 'collective purpose' for men's shed
- 6 Fire door company hiring more staff despite pandemic
- 7 Covid testing bus arrives at Dereham supermarket
- 8 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 9 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
- 10 Barman suffered fractured eye socket after being punched on night out
Mattishall's miserable season continued when they were skittled out for 63 by Swardeston's seconds, who went on to win by 10 wickets. They host Thetford in their final game.
Dereham A finish off at Hales and Loddon while Mattishall A, who were beaten by 153 runs by Lowestoft A on Saturday, visit Bradenham A.