Dereham’s promotion hopes suffer big blow as they lose penultimate game
- Credit: Archant
Dereham's promotion challenge in Division One of the Norfolk Alliance suffered a potentially fatal blow at they weekend when they lost their penultimate fixture of the season.
Duncan Hewitt's side went down by 21 runs at Lowestoft to slip down to fourth position ahead of their final home game against Swardeston A (12.30pm).
They must now beat the leaders, while hoping Stow and Diss lose to Vauxhall Mallards A and Lowestoft respectively, to claim a place in the top flight.
A second wicket partnership of 119 between skipper Tom Brice (85) and Nathan Garrod (54) helped Lowestoft reach 218 after being asked to bat first.
Josh McAvoy (34) and Craig Guy (20) added useful runs down the order while Soren Gauntlett took 4-35 for Dereham.
You may also want to watch:
In reply the visitors slipped to 75-5 before a partnership of 61 between Liam Cameron (61 not out) and Jake Anema (26) gave them hope.
But they struggled to keep up with the required rate and finished in 197-9.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 4 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 5 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 6 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 7 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 8 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 9 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 10 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
Mattishall's miserable season continued when they were skittled out for 63 by Swardeston's seconds, who went on to win by 10 wickets. They host Thetford in their final game.
Dereham A finish off at Hales and Loddon while Mattishall A, who were beaten by 153 runs by Lowestoft A on Saturday, visit Bradenham A.