Dereham see off promotion rivals
Dereham's Norfolk Alliance Division Two top-of-the-table clash at Downham Town A ended in victory on Saturday.
Dereham, 242 for six, beat Downham A (150) by 92 runs for 25 points to lead the section by seven points.
Skipper Duncan Hewitt commented: 'This is such a team effort, if someone fails another player steps up to the plate. Our bowlers work in tandem, giving the opposition no time to settle.'
Dereham travel to bottom team Sheringham Saturday.
With the Downham wicket left uncovered after heavy overnight rain, the toss looked vital. Hewitt lost and Dereham were asked to bat.
You may also want to watch:
Grinding out runs was tough in the early stages. Both openers, Hewitt (29) and David Lake (54) grafted as the wicket started to dry, Hewitt departed lbw after an opening partnership of 60, leaving Lake to hold the fort.
Runs then started to flow, Joe Marczewski striking the ball to all parts of the boundary. Lake was bowled and Marczewski went lbw, leaving Dereham at 145 for three.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 4 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 5 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 6 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 7 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 8 Van artist creates 'most emotional picture' over teen suicide
- 9 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 10 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
The big-hitting Phil Milbourne (49no) was sent to the crease for quick fire runs. At the other end Dereham lost Neil Irons lbw decision, Jake Anema and Jon Crisp both caught. Maxwell Cheetham (3-22) came in to smash the ball all over, leaving Downham to try chase down 242.
In the field, Dereham got off to a flyer. Nic Cains (2-20) again produced a fine opening spell, dislodging the opener. Gary Starling's (2-52) swing bowling was virtually unplayable in the gusty winds.
J Coe (38) was removed by Jake Anema (3-46) and wickets tumbled, Downham failing to bat out for a draw.
Dereham: Lake b Edwards 54, Hewitt lbw b Stewart 29, Marczewski lbw b Grady 31, Milbourne not out 49, Anema c Grady 6, Irons lbw b Grady 4, Crisp c Grady 4, Cheetham not out 40.
Bowling: Stewart 12-3-32-1, Grady 12-1-88-4, Porter 3-0-22-1, Sharp 2-0-6-1, Gould 11-1-63-0, Edwards 6-0-31-1.
Downham Town A: Bowman c Cheetham b Cains 0, Coe lbw b Anema 38, Tansley b Starling 0, Gould c Starling b Cheetham 21, Stuart c Marczewski b Anema 13, Corbett b Cheetham 17, Gromett st Burrage b Cheetham 1, Porter not out 19, Edwards c Crisp b Anema 15, Grady c Cains b Starling 5, Sharpe b Cains 0.
Bowling: Cains 7.3-1-20-2, Starling 9-1-52-2, Anema 12-1-46-3, Cheetham 9-2-22-3, Milbourne 1-0-8-0.