Dereham stun leaders ahead of cricket derby
Dereham stunned Norfolk Alliance Division Two promotion challengers Downham A by claiming a 64-run victory in west Norfolk on Saturday.After posting an impressive 236 for eight from their 46 overs, Dereham bowled Downham out for 172 to claim their fifth win of the season and move into the top half of the table.
Dereham stunned Norfolk Alliance Division Two promotion challengers Downham A by claiming a 64-run victory in west Norfolk on Saturday.
After posting an impressive 236 for eight from their 46 overs, Dereham bowled Downham out for 172 to claim their fifth win of the season and move into the top half of the table.
Second XI captain Jonathan Crisp was utilised as a batsman and responded by top scoring with 49 after the early departures of David Lake and Neil Irons. His knock included two massive sixes.
Opener Duncan Hewitt made 34, while Jake Anema added 25 before Lee Hoggett bolstered the total with an unbeaten 43. The Hewitt-Crisp partnership was worth 80.
You may also want to watch:
Anema claimed the key wicket of New Zealander Kurt Richards for 47 in the Downham reply and with the big gun gone, the middle order then folded at the hands of Hewitt. The part-time spinner claimed four wickets, while Gary Starling and Max Cheetham each picked up two as Dereham wrapped up victory in the 43rd over.
This Saturday, Dereham are at home to Fakenham A.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 4 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 5 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 6 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 7 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 8 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 9 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 10 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
Dereham: D Hewitt c Ferguson b Richards 34, D Lake lbw Porter 4, N Irons c Stone b Kavaney 4, J Crisp c-b Wynn 49, J Anema c Arndt b Edwards 25, J Marczewski c Coe b Kavaney 17, L Hoggett not out 43, M Cheetham b Richards 11, Gary Starling c Edwards b Porter 13, N Burrage not out 10; extras 23. Total (8 wkts) 236. Bowling: K Richards 11-2-26-2, J Porter 11-1-64-2, S Kavaney 12-3-64-2, N Wynn 8-1-51-1, C Edwards 4-0-22-1.
Downham A: W Bowman lbw Cheetham 36, J Coe c Marczewski b Starling 5, K Richards c Burrage b Anema 47, A Arndt st Neil Burrage b Hewitt 20, N Gromett c Anema b Hewitt 14, J Porter st Burrage b Hewitt 4, T Stone b Cheetham 15, M Ferguson c Hoggett b Hewitt 2, N Wynn Lbw b Starling 5, Shaun Kavaney c Irons b Fletcher 4, C Edwards not out 0; extras 14. Total 172. Bowling: K Fletcher 7-3-31-1, Gary Starling 7.2-2-18-2, J Anema 7-2-29-1, M Cheetham 12-0-34-2, D Hewitt 9-0-57-4.