Dereham Town and Fakenham Town gearing up for their FA Cup battles
- Credit: Archant
Dereham travel for their third consecutive game to face United Counties League Premier Division Deeping Rangers on Saturday for a FA Cup preliminary round tie, writes Rene Kendal.
The winners are drawn to play at either Leek Town or Rocester on September 12.
Dereham gained their first Ryman North win of the season on Saturday against Heybridge Swifts with Ryan Crisp and Luke Tuttle netting the vital goals. The Magpies then lost by a single goal on Tuesday night at Brightlingsea Regent – where young Matthew Cook made his full debut.
Assistant manager Neal Simmons said Dereham 'thoroughly deserved' their weekend victory but didn't get the point their 'hard work deserved' in midweek.
Deeping will present a tough test for the Magpies with the free-scoring side netting 17 goals in their opening four competitive games, including a 6-1 win against Boston Town in the extra preliminary round.
You may also want to watch:
Simmons said: 'We know that the UCL is a strong league. We have to go there with the right attitude.
'We have played them twice in recent years in friendlies which have been close.'
- 1 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 2 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 3 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 4 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 5 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 6 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 7 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 8 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 9 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 10 Stunning new show at Houghton Hall set to immerse you into a meditative state
Midfielder Sam Borrer returns to the Dereham side with goalkeeper Will Vinner deputising for the suspended Andy Wilton.
The Magpies will pocket £1,925 prize money if enjoy cup glory at the weekend – as will lower-level Fakenham Town when they visit Ryman North Wroxham.
The Ghosts destroyed Huntingdon Town 6-0 in their extra preliminary round replay before losing 1-0 in league action at home to Kirkley & Pakefield. They played Norwich United last night and are due to host Gorleston on Wednesday.