Dereham Town are forced to share the spoils in Norfolk Ryman League Division One North derby
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Norfolk rivals Dereham Town and Norwich United shared the spoils in their first Ryman League meeting at Aldiss Park.
The Planters, who have started their first season at a higher level in superb style, created a chance in the sixth minute when Liam Jackson turned and set up Tim Henery, but he fired wide when well placed.
Dereham won a series of corners and from the third Michael Sommerfield's far-post header was hacked off the line. But it was United who made the breakthrough three minutes after the break when Henery hammered home a superb drive.
The Magpies equalised in the 70th minute.
Danny Beaumont fed Adam Smith who threaded a great pass to Rhys Logan on the right, enabling him to move in on goal before beating former Dereham keeper Andy Wilton with a superb drive.
You may also want to watch:
The midweek result arrived off the back of Saturday's brave FA Cup exit to higher-level St Albans City.
The Magpies took the lead through Sommerfield, but Saints equalised and then netted a winner with five minutes left.
- 1 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 2 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 3 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 4 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 5 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 6 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 7 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 8 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 9 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 10 Fire crews battling large house blaze
Up next for Dereham are Division One North trips to AFC Hornchurch on Saturday and Witham Town on Tuesday.