Dereham Town are on the road again in Ryman Division One North

Dereham Town, black and white, are playing away again in the next few days. Picture: IAN BURT

Dereham Town, black and white, are playing away again in the next few days. Picture: IAN BURT - Credit: IAN BURT

Dereham Town will be looking to keep up their recent hot streak on the road as they prepare for back-to-back away matches.

The Magpies won 2-0 at Tilbury on Tuesday to make it three consecutive Ryman Division One North victories away from Aldiss Park on the bounce. And Matt Henman's men will be keen to add more points to their tally when they visit Thamesmead Town on Saturday and Heybridge Swifts on Tuesday.

The Tilbury win – which came courtesy of goals from Luke Tuttle and a Courtney McLean own goal – moved Dereham up to 10th in the table. They're now only three points off the play-off places despite a relatively indifferent start to the campaign.

The Magpies have won seven, drawn one and lost five of their first 13 matches. Their latest defeat came on their own turf on Saturday as they disappointingly lost 3-0 to Cheshunt.

On Saturday, Tuttle latched onto Ryan Hawkins' pass but ballooned his volley over the top.

As the home side pressed again Cheshunt defender Ellis Sands was forced to slice Hawkins' low cross behind for a corner. Dereham had a let-off when keeper Andy Wilton spilled a shot from outside the box enabling Joe Clemo to stab a close range effort against a post in the 16th minute. The Magpies replied with Toby Hilliard's 20-yarder forcing keeper Glenn Williamson into a flying save.

After a quiet period of play Louis Mason shot tamely at Williamson after Tuttle and Fraser Blake-Tracy had combined well. Minutes later Aaron Kay fired a well struck 30-yard left-foot effort wide of the target. Cheshunt leapt into the lead when Ted Lleweyn netted with a low drive from just inside the box in the 43rd minute.

Most Read

Dereham were looking for a better performance after the break and Mason tested Williamson with a low drive. Lewis Sturman replaced Matt Hockley and immediately headed Tuttle's free kick just off target.

Hawkins was then unlucky to see his thumping drive cannon back off Williamson's right hand post. Dereham missed a great chance when Tuttle sent Hilliard away down the right and his cross found the unmarked Hawkins but from close range the midfielder stooped to head over the bar.

After riding their luck Cheshunt increased their lead with Milton Elenge firing home from inside the box after a cross from the right had fallen kindly for him in the 68th minute.

Dereham continued to surge forward with Tuttle and Blake-Tracy both testing keeper Williamson. Cheshunt sealed the game in stoppage time on the break when Josh Fagbohun raced away from Mason and stroked the ball home.

Despite that loss, the Magpies should be feeling confident going into the weekend after bouncing back so quickly in midweek.

They took an early fortuitous lead when home defender McLean could only divert a pass from Tuttle into his own net after keeper Ricky Milard's poor clearance in the sixth minute.

Tilbury missed a good chance when striker De'Juane Taylor-Crossdsle latched onto some slack defending before firing into the side netting when well placed. Hawkins fizzed an effort inches over the bar from just inside the box and the Magpies enjoyed a slender lead after an uneventful first half.

Hawkins came close again just after the break curling a right footer around the post after receiving Tuttle's measured pass.

Hilliard came on and immediately was involved in a nasty clash of heads with Tilbury's Jake Pooley.

Both players had to leave the field and as play recommenced after a lengthy delay Hawkins went close three times before the win was sealed in the 88th minute, when Mason found Hawkins, who rolled the ball towards the in-form frontman Tuttle, who side-footed home to seal the win.