Dereham Town debutant Michael Sommerfield makes winning start
Dereham Tn 2, Hadleigh Utd 0
New signing Michael Sommerfield marked his Magpies debut with a goal as Dereham moved back up to fourth in the Ridgeons League Premier Division.
Former Mattishall defender Sommerfield forced home Dereham's second goal midway through the first half after Billy Smith's opener.
Dereham made a positive start, winning a free-kick in an advanced position and a corner but neither troubled the Essex side.
The home side took the lead in the 13th minute with an awesome strike from Billy Smith. Hadleigh keeper Daniel Heath failed to intercept a Gary Starling free-kick from the left and the ball was headed out to Smith who hammered a blistering drive into the net via a post.
You may also want to watch:
Starling nearly caught out Heath with a 30-yard free-kick before the full back delivered another set-piece into the visitors' defence and, after a series of ricochets, new boy Sommerfield fired the ball home in the 24th minute.
Some over zealous challenges broke up Dereham's flow in the second half but their first half dominance gave them the points.
- 1 'Bonkers' - MP objects to 50-home development in village
- 2 Care home launches project to make residents dreams come true
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 5 Second Banksy-style doctor street art appears outside vaccination centre
- 6 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 7 Number of coronavirus deaths passes 1,000 at Norfolk's hospitals
- 8 Resident’s fears over more housing as sewerage system buckles
- 9 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 10 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
Dereham travel to third-placed Ely on Saturday, followed by a League Cup quarter-final at Kirkley & Pakefield on Tuesday.