Dereham Town debutant Michael Sommerfield makes winning start
Dereham Tn 2, Hadleigh Utd 0
New signing Michael Sommerfield marked his Magpies debut with a goal as Dereham moved back up to fourth in the Ridgeons League Premier Division.
Former Mattishall defender Sommerfield forced home Dereham's second goal midway through the first half after Billy Smith's opener.
Dereham made a positive start, winning a free-kick in an advanced position and a corner but neither troubled the Essex side.
The home side took the lead in the 13th minute with an awesome strike from Billy Smith. Hadleigh keeper Daniel Heath failed to intercept a Gary Starling free-kick from the left and the ball was headed out to Smith who hammered a blistering drive into the net via a post.
You may also want to watch:
Starling nearly caught out Heath with a 30-yard free-kick before the full back delivered another set-piece into the visitors' defence and, after a series of ricochets, new boy Sommerfield fired the ball home in the 24th minute.
Some over zealous challenges broke up Dereham's flow in the second half but their first half dominance gave them the points.
- 1 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 2 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 3 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 4 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 5 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 6 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 7 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 8 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 9 Stunning new show at Houghton Hall set to immerse you into a meditative state
- 10 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
Dereham travel to third-placed Ely on Saturday, followed by a League Cup quarter-final at Kirkley & Pakefield on Tuesday.