Dereham Town debutant Michael Sommerfield makes winning start
Dereham Tn 2, Hadleigh Utd 0
New signing Michael Sommerfield marked his Magpies debut with a goal as Dereham moved back up to fourth in the Ridgeons League Premier Division.
Former Mattishall defender Sommerfield forced home Dereham's second goal midway through the first half after Billy Smith's opener.
Dereham made a positive start, winning a free-kick in an advanced position and a corner but neither troubled the Essex side.
The home side took the lead in the 13th minute with an awesome strike from Billy Smith. Hadleigh keeper Daniel Heath failed to intercept a Gary Starling free-kick from the left and the ball was headed out to Smith who hammered a blistering drive into the net via a post.
Starling nearly caught out Heath with a 30-yard free-kick before the full back delivered another set-piece into the visitors' defence and, after a series of ricochets, new boy Sommerfield fired the ball home in the 24th minute.
Some over zealous challenges broke up Dereham's flow in the second half but their first half dominance gave them the points.
- 1 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 2 'You've got to diversify' - cafe and gallery owner braves expansion
- 3 A trip to the fair helps Norfolk man remember
- 4 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 5 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 6 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 7 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 9 Queen's Jubilee: All the events happening in the Dereham area
- 10 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
Dereham travel to third-placed Ely on Saturday, followed by a League Cup quarter-final at Kirkley & Pakefield on Tuesday.