Dereham Town FC goalkeeper Shaun Marshall announces retirement
Dereham Town manager Matty Henman paid tribute to Shaun Marshall after he announced his retirement recently.
The 33-year-old goalkeeper has decided to call it a day due to injury and the former Cambridge United professional was presented with a special Magpies memento after the Easter Monday derby against Wroxham thanking him for his five years of service.
The Fakenham born shot-stopper joined the Magpies upon his release from King's Lynn in 2007 and went on to make 136 appearances for the Aldiss Park outfit.
'Shaun has been a top goalkeeper and we wish him well for the future,' said Henman. 'This season he has had his fair share of injuries and work commitments, but judging him on last season's performances he was certainly the best goalkeeper in the league.'
Henman also revealed there will be a number of changes made to the first team in the summer as the club bids for promotion next season. He said: 'Undoubtedly there will be some changes – some of that will be down to the players themselves (wanting to leave) and some of it will be down to the management.
You may also want to watch:
'We want a group of players here that will fight for the club, but ones that are also talented. What I don't want to do is to build a team full of big athletes – I want to build a team of footballers, but to do that we just need a few more players with a bit more strength and stature to hold it together.'
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
- 4 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 5 Dereham's plans for Remembrance services announced
- 6 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 9 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 10 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47