Dereham Town knocked out of FA Vase at Haverhill

Dereham Town's dream of reaching Wembley has ended after a 2-1 defeat against Haverhill Sports Association today (Saturday).

Craig Bussens equalised in the second half of the second round FA Vase match but Haverhill scored a last minute winning goal.

The Magpies were weakened with Gary Starling falling ill overnight and unable to play but boosted by the return of keeper Andy Wilton.

With Luke Hannant suspended and Olly Willis still unfit Manager Matt Henman had selection problems as his side looked to progress in the FA Vase at the New Croft ground.

Dereham created the first chance in the 5th minute with Luke Tuttle flicking the ball over the home defence to Shaun Bammant who's close range effort was well saved by Liam Cutts.

Haverhill made an immediate response with Aaron Forshaw testing Andy Wilton from 20 yards but the visiting keeper comfortably handled his low drive.

In an even start Bammant chased several long balls looking for openings whilst Haverill won a corner and free kick which failed to trouble the Magpies defence.

Most Read

In the 22nd minute Matt Clarke fired a 25 yarder past Wilton's right hand post.

Dereham won a free kick in an advanced position but Tuttle's effort struck the base of the wall. Haverhill then failed to capitalise following a mix up between Matt Howard and keeper Wilton.

There was little between the sides with passes going astray.

In the 43rd minute Sam Borrer found Nicky Howell on the right with a long diagonal ball who passed inside to Tuttle but the striker's shot did not contain enough power to beat Cutts. The tame half finished goalless.

After the break Haverhill's Ben Bradley was put clean through forcing Andy Wilton to leave his box.

The keeper blocked his shot with the ball striking his arm and he received a caution.

Bammant then did well to get behind the home defence but Borrer could not divert his cross goalward. Aaron Forshaw was then booked for a late and reckless challenge on Wilton.

In the 61st minute Haverhill were awarded a penalty when a forward ball was flicked onto Gusterson's hand.

Harry Halls sent Wilton the wrong way from the spot to put the home side in front.

Dereham replaced Bammant with Scott Sutherland-Gray but before the striker had touched the ball he was dismissed for a late challenge on Cutts in a replica of Hall's challenge on Wilton in which he was only booked.

However Dereham equalised in the 67th minute when Craig Bussens rose well to head home a Howell corner.

Both sides then won two corners as they searched for the winning goal.

In the 90th minute Andy Wilton made a brilliant reflex save to keep out Matt Clarke's close range header. He was then forced to dive full length to turn aside Forshaw's effort.

However he was powerless to prevent Matt Clarke's close range volley from entering the net in the 93rd minute as the Magpies slumped to defeat in a poorly referred game.