Dereham Town lose unbeaten record
Wisbech Town 3, Dereham Town 0
Dereham Town lost their unbeaten Ridgeons League Premier Division record – and the chance to open a three-point lead at the top – when they were beaten 3-0 at Wisbech Town on Tuesday.
Andy Furnell scored twice in the first half to put the Fenmen in control, but the Magpies hit back strongly in the second half, helped when the home side were reduced to ten men as Stacey Cartwright was red-carded for bringing down Danny Beaumont when the Dereham leading scorer was through on goal.
For all their pressure, however, Dereham couldn't get a goal back and their fate was sensationally sealed in the last minute when Darren Jimson spectacularly chipped Scott Marshall from fully 45 yards.
Matty Henman's men – who were knocked off top spot as a result of the defeat – will now attempt to bounce back when they visit Histon on Saturday.
- 1 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 2 Former military man elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 3 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 4 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 5 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 6 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 7 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Organisers hail success of first ever Dereham Day
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
Dereham Town 4, Hadleigh 0
A Danny Beaumont hat-trick helped Dereham gain top spot in the Ridgeons Premier League with a 4-0 win over visitors Hadleigh on Saturday.
Hadleigh keeper Aaron Benstead denied the Magpies three times in the opening few minutes with close range saves from Ryan Foster, Ollie Willis and Adam Smith before Beaumont netted his first in the 12th minute.
After latching onto Adam Smith's perfect through-ball the striker superbly slotted home with two defenders at his heels.
Beaumont increased the lead in the 26th minute when sub Sam Groves chipped the ball into the left-hand side of the box and, with keeper Benstead hesitant, he beat him to the ball and netted from an acute angle.
Beaumont completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot in the 58th minute after a defender had handled. With young centre-back Ollie Thomson in superb form the visitors were having little joy in breaking the well organised Dereham defence.
Dereham continued to dominate and Steve Harley completed the scoring in the 70th minute to seal a comprehensive victory.
Magpies manager Matt Henman said: 'Our first half performance was excellent and to be 2-0 up at half time through two very good goals from Danny was probably the least we deserved. I thought we controlled things pretty well in the second half.
'As well as playing some good football, the work the lads are putting in, especially out of possession, is fantastic to see and if we can maintain that then we can continue to pick up positive results. Our aim is to stay around the top spots going in to the last 10 matches not just after the first 10.'