Dereham Town make FA Cup progress at the second attempt

Dereham Tn 3, Woodford United 0

Dereham progressed to the next round of the FA Cup after a superb display at Aldiss Park on Tuesday night, writes Rene Kendal.

After Saturday's tie was abandoned following heavy rain with Dereham leading 2-0, the Magpies were quick to re-establish their advantage.

Nicky Howell fired home a low 20-yard drive to put the hosts in front in the 14th minute after good approach play from Olly Willis.

The in-form Dereham side increased their lead in the 58th minute. The bubbly Luke Tuttle fired a low 20-yard drive which the keeper could only parry and Howell was first to react to gleefully knock home his second goal of the night from close range.

In the 70th minute Woodford skipper Harris was dismissed and Dereham made the game safe eight minutes later. Craig Bussens found Howell on the right and he squared to Tuttle who netted from close range.

In the 86th minute Wilton conceded a penalty but redeemed himself by diving full length to his left to turn Tom Liversedge's spot kick around the post.

Most Read

Dereham will now travel to Bugbrooke St Michaels in the first qualifying round on Saturday week.

n Saturday's match began in torrential rain and was called off after 30 minutes' play.

The Magpies made an ideal start when after seven minutes Luke Tuttle curled a ball across the Woodford area towards the far post where Sam Borrer slid the ball home.

As the storm continued Woodford had three players booked. Dereham came close to increasing their advantage in the 16th minute when visiting keeper Jamie Brassington did well to divert Nicky Howell's close range effort around a post.

However the in-form Magpies soon netted again when a back pass was intercepted by Craig Bussens who found Shaun Bammant and he squared to Tuttle, enabling the striker to drill the ball home in the 20th minute.

Ten minutes later the referee took the teams off the pitch as water began to settle on the surface. After a good effort from Dereham to make the pitch playable the referee abandoned the match at 4pm.

n Dereham continued their fine start to the league campaign last Wednesday, securing a 3-0 win at Kirkley & Pakefield with a good all-round team display.

They had two early half chances before Sam Borrer hit a 20 yarder just over the bar following a corner from the left.

In the 14th minute Kirkley's Ryan Crisp moved well in the box and headed off target when well placed. Minutes later the home striker had to be replaced following a hip injury.

There was little between the two resilient sides until the Magpies opened the scoring in the 25th minute. Luke Tuttle switched play with a fine pass to the left where Shaun Bammant used his strength to deliver a superb left footed cross. Tuttle had made good ground into the box and leapt well to beat David Attridge with a downward header.

The home keeper then made a good save from Tuttle but Dereham increased their lead in the 30th minute. Craig Bussens hit a deep cross to the far post where Tuttle cushioned a header to Nicky Howell and he fired home from close range.

Dereham were now flying and Attridge tipped a superb lob from the in-form Tuttle onto the bar.

The home keeper kept the Magpies at bay again in the 40th minute saving well from Bammant after a five-man move.

Two injuries disrupted play at the beginning of the second period along with some niggly fouls. There were no chances until the 72nd minute when Borrer drove forward before squaring a short pass to Bussens, who rattled Attridge's bar.

Kirkley had an opportunity when Kyle Baker delivered a low cross from the right which Scott Manning side footed over the top. The Magpies netted their third in the 86th minute when Scott Sutherland-Gray headed home a Howell cross from the right.

The Magpies are away to FC Clacton in the league this Saturday.