Dereham Town Reserves are boosted by returning Smith
Dereham Tn Res 4, Gt Yarmouth Tn Res 1
ADAM Smith made his return from injury as the Magpies reserves completed a comfortable victory in the Ridgeons Reserve League North Division.
The hosts took a seventh minute lead as Jordan King picked out Nick Hook, who from a central position confidently slipped the ball under the keeper.
Dereham were passing and moving fluently which was pushing the Bloaters back towards their own goal. Yarmouth began to threaten more without ruffling the well-organised home defence.
Lewis Butcher struck a cross-shot just wide for Dereham in the 25th minute while at the other end Tommy Gardiner curled a well executed free-kick inches over the Dereham bar as play opened up.
You may also want to watch:
In the 31st minute Matt Nesierowicz increased Dereham's lead with a crisp 14-yard finish after Smith had superbly set him up.
Yarmouth reduced the deficit in the 33rd minute when the ball fell to Barney Lawrence who drilled home from 20 yards.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 3 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 4 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 5 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 6 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 7 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 8 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 9 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 10 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
Shortly before the break a Callum White centre from the right drifted onto the Yarmouth bar.
There was little between the sides in the opening 15 minutes of the second half before Butcher volleyed inches over the top from 22 yards. The same player then curled a 25-yard free kick against the Yarmouth post with the keeper beaten.
Dereham came close once again when Smith latched onto a long White through ball and lobbed the ball onto the visitors' bar.
Dereham sealed victory in the 85th minute with a well-worked goal. Smith released Butcher out wide on the left and he squared to Jordan King, who fired home a low 18-yard drive. Minutes later Dereham were awarded a penalty but Nick Hook's effort was well saved.
However Callum White added a fourth for the Magpies to complete a comprehensive victory.