Dereham Town return to matchwinning form
Dereham Tn 4, Clacton 1
DEREHAM ended their five-match winless run with a convincing Ridgeons League Premier Division victory at Aldiss Park on Saturday.
After a scrappy opening Dereham took the lead in the 10th minute with a well worked goal. Nathan Howard sent Jordan Rocastle away down the right and the youngster played a neat ball inside to Sam Borrer, who had burst forward and from 14 yards the midfielder slotted home.
Billy Smith replaced the injured Scott Roberts in the 19th minute and he soon made his mark when he crossed from the right to Rocastle who netted from close range.
Dereham continued to have the upper hand with Borrer, Luke Hannant and Ryan Hawkins working tirelessly in midfield. Clacton won four corners but could not trouble Chris Horton in the home goal.
After the break Dereham had the strong breeze behind them and Gary Starling tested Clacton keeper Ed Wotten with a long range free-kick which was turned behind for a corner.
In the 52nd minute Dereham were reduced to 10 men when Jay Eastoe-Smith received a straight red card for a poor challenge on Condon.
- 1 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 2 Former military man elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 3 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 4 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 5 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 6 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 7 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Organisers hail success of first ever Dereham Day
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
However the hosts soon increased their lead when Borrer fed Rocastle who netted his second with a classy finish into the bottom right hand corner of the net.
In the 66th minute home keeper Horton sprung to his left to grasp James Dunkley's firm header from Condon's centre from the left as the Essex side looked to reduce the deficit.
Dereham came close in the 78th minute when Lee Peacock made a superb goal line clearance to deny Howard.
The Magpies won a penalty in stoppage time when Ollie Willis was upended in the box. Starling drilled home the spot kick for Dereham's fourth.
Clacton gained a late consolation goal when Michael Sommerfield headed past his own keeper.
Roberts was taken to hospital with a suspected broken foot, although X-rays revealed only soft tissue damage.