Dereham Town return to matchwinning form
Dereham Tn 4, Clacton 1
DEREHAM ended their five-match winless run with a convincing Ridgeons League Premier Division victory at Aldiss Park on Saturday.
After a scrappy opening Dereham took the lead in the 10th minute with a well worked goal. Nathan Howard sent Jordan Rocastle away down the right and the youngster played a neat ball inside to Sam Borrer, who had burst forward and from 14 yards the midfielder slotted home.
Billy Smith replaced the injured Scott Roberts in the 19th minute and he soon made his mark when he crossed from the right to Rocastle who netted from close range.
Dereham continued to have the upper hand with Borrer, Luke Hannant and Ryan Hawkins working tirelessly in midfield. Clacton won four corners but could not trouble Chris Horton in the home goal.
You may also want to watch:
After the break Dereham had the strong breeze behind them and Gary Starling tested Clacton keeper Ed Wotten with a long range free-kick which was turned behind for a corner.
In the 52nd minute Dereham were reduced to 10 men when Jay Eastoe-Smith received a straight red card for a poor challenge on Condon.
- 1 Farmers hope to open egg shop in football club car park
- 2 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 3 Watch: 91-year-old woman's stirring poem 'Wake Up Britain'
- 4 Fire door company hiring more staff despite pandemic
- 5 Covid testing bus arrives at Dereham supermarket
- 6 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 7 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
- 8 Where you are most likely to get your bike stolen in Norfolk
- 9 Barman suffered fractured eye socket after being punched on night out
- 10 Work starts on new park in heart of town
However the hosts soon increased their lead when Borrer fed Rocastle who netted his second with a classy finish into the bottom right hand corner of the net.
In the 66th minute home keeper Horton sprung to his left to grasp James Dunkley's firm header from Condon's centre from the left as the Essex side looked to reduce the deficit.
Dereham came close in the 78th minute when Lee Peacock made a superb goal line clearance to deny Howard.
The Magpies won a penalty in stoppage time when Ollie Willis was upended in the box. Starling drilled home the spot kick for Dereham's fourth.
Clacton gained a late consolation goal when Michael Sommerfield headed past his own keeper.
Roberts was taken to hospital with a suspected broken foot, although X-rays revealed only soft tissue damage.