Dereham Town’s show of strength against Ridgeons Premier Division strugglers
Dereham Tn 5, Newmarket Tn 0
Dereham's recent revival gathered pace with a comprehensive home win over struggling Newmarket in the Ridgeons League Premier Division on Saturday.
Gary Starling (injury) and Jay Eastoe-Smith (suspension) were missing for the hosts, but they seized control early in the game with the first goal on 13 minutes. Liam Elmer made a great save to keep out a header from his own defender but Michael Sommerfield headed home the loose ball from close range.
Dereham were well on top at the break, but only had the solitary goal to show for their efforts. It was not until the 75th minute that they extended their lead. Luke Hannant's effort from a free-kick was blocked but after a series of ricochets Nathan Howard hammered home.
Dereham went three up when a cross from the left resulted in an own goal and in the 82nd minute Howard headed home an Ollie Willis cross from the right to make it four. The Magpies registered their nap hand in the 87th minute when Sam Willis neatly slotted home from the edge of the box.
You may also want to watch:
n Dereham moved into the semi-finals of the League Challenge Cup on Tuesday night with a 3-1 win at Kirkley & Pakefield.
- 1 Plans for wild animals on 100-home development
- 2 Updated information following serious assault in Dereham
- 3 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 4 Man denies attacking brother with wheel brace
- 5 From lockdown hobby to high street shop - New Fakenham crafts store opens
- 6 'Heartbroken' - Shock after village play area ‘trashed’ by graffiti vandals
- 7 Pub reopens with brand new wine boutique
- 8 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 9 Your Say - What should replace Dereham's Prezzo?
- 10 'Exciting and adventurous' - How aboutDereham works for our community