Dereham Town’s show of strength against Ridgeons Premier Division strugglers
Dereham Tn 5, Newmarket Tn 0
Dereham's recent revival gathered pace with a comprehensive home win over struggling Newmarket in the Ridgeons League Premier Division on Saturday.
Gary Starling (injury) and Jay Eastoe-Smith (suspension) were missing for the hosts, but they seized control early in the game with the first goal on 13 minutes. Liam Elmer made a great save to keep out a header from his own defender but Michael Sommerfield headed home the loose ball from close range.
Dereham were well on top at the break, but only had the solitary goal to show for their efforts. It was not until the 75th minute that they extended their lead. Luke Hannant's effort from a free-kick was blocked but after a series of ricochets Nathan Howard hammered home.
Dereham went three up when a cross from the left resulted in an own goal and in the 82nd minute Howard headed home an Ollie Willis cross from the right to make it four. The Magpies registered their nap hand in the 87th minute when Sam Willis neatly slotted home from the edge of the box.
n Dereham moved into the semi-finals of the League Challenge Cup on Tuesday night with a 3-1 win at Kirkley & Pakefield.
- 1 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 2 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
- 3 Village pub to finally reopen after being shut for four years
- 4 Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- 5 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 6 Norfolk war hero saluted at poignant service
- 7 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 8 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor