Dereham Town’s show of strength against Ridgeons Premier Division strugglers
Dereham Tn 5, Newmarket Tn 0
Dereham's recent revival gathered pace with a comprehensive home win over struggling Newmarket in the Ridgeons League Premier Division on Saturday.
Gary Starling (injury) and Jay Eastoe-Smith (suspension) were missing for the hosts, but they seized control early in the game with the first goal on 13 minutes. Liam Elmer made a great save to keep out a header from his own defender but Michael Sommerfield headed home the loose ball from close range.
Dereham were well on top at the break, but only had the solitary goal to show for their efforts. It was not until the 75th minute that they extended their lead. Luke Hannant's effort from a free-kick was blocked but after a series of ricochets Nathan Howard hammered home.
Dereham went three up when a cross from the left resulted in an own goal and in the 82nd minute Howard headed home an Ollie Willis cross from the right to make it four. The Magpies registered their nap hand in the 87th minute when Sam Willis neatly slotted home from the edge of the box.
You may also want to watch:
n Dereham moved into the semi-finals of the League Challenge Cup on Tuesday night with a 3-1 win at Kirkley & Pakefield.
- 1 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 2 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 3 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 4 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 5 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 6 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 7 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 8 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 9 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 10 Fire crews battling large house blaze