Dereham Town Under-16s clinch County Cup success
Dereham Tn Yth 2, Clenchwarton Yth 1
Dereham Town's Under-16s lifted the first County Cup silverware of the season on Friday evening, breaking the hearts of their Clenchwarton counterparts with a last minute winner.
The game got underway at lightning pace in front of 214 spectators at Clipbush Park, Fakenham, with the opening goal coming after just 90 seconds from Clenchwarton's Matt Malle. He was pushed wide but his cross-shot ended up in the top corner of the net.
Man of the match Connor Laskey almost levelled on the quarter of an hour mark, only to be thwarted by some good goalkeeping from Luke Pearson. Moments later Laskey appeared to have equalised however he was adjudged to have fouled the 'keeper and the goal was disallowed.
Dereham were in the ascendency and Liam Betts fired agonisingly past the post following a lovely flowing move, but Clenchwarton led at the break.
You may also want to watch:
In the second half, Pearson had to be at his best as he tipped a scorcher from Louis Mason over the bar, but Dereham levelled from the resulting corner. The ball was swung in and Jordan Lake was quickest to react to a loose ball to poke home an equaliser.
The remainder of the second half was evenly contested, with both teams creating chances, but neither side were able to find the finish.
- 1 'Singing in their seats' - Pubs promise loud atmosphere for England game
- 2 Plans for wild animals on 100-home development
- 3 Your Say - What should replace Dereham's Prezzo?
- 4 Updated information following serious assault in Dereham
- 5 Man denies attacking brother with wheel brace
- 6 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 7 'Heartbroken' - Shock after village play area ‘trashed’ by graffiti vandals
- 8 Town pub revamped as carveries prove a hit
- 9 Man in 30s left in need of surgery after serious assault
- 10 Pub reopens with brand new wine boutique
With the match looking destined for extra-time, a decisive breakaway from the Dereham half saw Laskey outpace the Clenchwarton defence and emphatically fire past Pearson.
Dereham Town U16: Cox, Ward, Atherton, Howett, Skipper, Betts, Lake, Laskey, Upton, Clarke, Mason. Subs: Chipperfield, Rowe, King, Websdale, Youngs.