Dereham Town win at fellow high-flyers to go top
- Credit: Ian Burt
These are exciting times for Dereham Town Football Club.
The Magpies go into a free weekend sitting proudly at the top of Bostik League Division One North after claiming two away victories in the space of four days - without so much as conceding a goal.
They won 2-0 at Cheshunt on Saturday (see report inside) and followed that up on Tuesday evening with an excellent 1-0 success at AFC Hornchurch, who had gone into the game unbeaten in the league.
As a result Dereham moved two points clear of closest rivals Canvey Island. having played one more game.
After a delayed start on Tuesday caused by heavy traffic on the M25, Dereham opened the scoring in the 20th minute with a superb strike from Ryan Crisp. The striker turned sharply just outside the box and hit a fierce left foot drive that flew into the net.
You may also want to watch:
The Magpies should have increased their lead in the 32nd minute when Jamie Forshaw put Rhys Logan through but after rounding the keeper the wide man fired off target.
As they pressed again Danny Beaumont hit a snap shot over the top while Dereham keeper Elliot Pride was forced to save a header from Nathan Cooper.
- 1 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 2 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 3 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 4 Fears raised over Western Link surveying work
- 5 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 6 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 7 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 8 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
After the break Forshaw worked space for himself and hit a 20 yarder into the keeper's arms. Brad Warner's diagonal drive then went close for the home side but the Magpies replied with Logan going close following good play from skipper David Hinton.
Hornchurch pressed for the equaliser but the Magpies remained solid. with Robbie Linford and Seamus Kelleher in outstanding form.
Dereham: E Pride, J Anema, O Murphy (J Bibby 90), D Hinton, M Castellan, R Linford, R Logan (S Dodden 89), S Kelleher, R Crisp (T Katsande 87), J Forshaw, D Beaumont. Not used: A Bean.
The Magpies have a well earned rest at the weekend, with their scheduled home clash with Grays Athletic having been called off due to the Essex side's involvement in the FA Trophy.
There is no midweek game either, with the next match a trip to Haringey Borough in the league on Saturday, November 4.