Dereham win battle of hockey tactics
City of Peterborough 0, Dereham Ladies 3DEREHAM were wary of the fifth-placed home side, who had won their previous seven games, and anticipated a tough battle.
City of Peterborough 0, Dereham Ladies 3
DEREHAM were wary of the fifth-placed home side, who had won their previous seven games, and anticipated a tough battle.
Tactics seemed to suit the home side, as Dereham were prevented from putting together the sweeping play that has been so devastating this season.
It didn't take long, however, for in-form forward Evie Van Poortvliet to get on the end of a pass from Georgie Edwards to open the scoring. Van Poortvliet was instrumental in the second as well, setting it up for her sister, Holly Allen.
Peterborough had a couple of chances in the first half, but their two short corners proved ineffective against the best defence in the league.
The third and final goal was one worthy of winning any game. Holly Allen found herself free in the area with the ball practically at her feet and, undeterred by the advancing defender, struck it sweetly across the keeper and into the roof of the net.
- 1 A47 reopens after it was closed for six hours due to crash
- 2 'You've got to diversify' - cafe and gallery owner braves expansion
- 3 A trip to the fair helps Norfolk man remember
- 4 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 5 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 6 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 7 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 8 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 9 Queen's Jubilee: All the events happening in the Dereham area
- 10 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
Dereham remain 15 points clear with six games to go. Next they entertain sixth-placed St Ives at Greenfields, hoping to maintain their incredible unbeaten season.
Squad: J Purser, D Causton, H Malcolmson, S Johnson, S Savage, C Hobson, S Skelton, G Edwards, E Settle, H Palmer, H Allen, E Van Poortvliet.
Dereham Colts II 3, Broadland II 1
DEREHAM began, with top-of-the-table Broadland's attackers creating problems for the defence. Mid-way through the first half Dereham conceded a short corner and Broadland took the lead, with a flick reaching the back of the net.
The second half saw Dereham pull together and take control. Strong runs from Hannah Tarry on the right created chancesand Zoe Leverett's accurate attempt led to Dereham equalising. The Dereham defence denied the Broadland attackers with strong tackles and clearances from Harriet Thorpe and Jade Riches.
Hannah Dewing's run down the right and accurate pass set up Juliette Richardson, whose dribbling found space to strike Dereham into the lead. A further run from Heather Morgan on the left, with a lay-off to Zoe Leverett gave Dereham their third.
A much improved second half from the Colts brought a well-deserved win. Player of the match was goal-scorer Zoe Leverett.