Dereham youngsters make presence felt at County Athletics Championships
- Credit: Archant
The Norfolk Athletics County Championships were held at the Norwich UEA Sportspark.
Dereham Juniors came away with a few personal bests, new club records and some medals for their efforts over the two days.
In the U13 boys age group Finn Moir ran in the 1,500m in a time of 5.24.08 for fifth place and Louis Preston competed in five events, getting a PB in every single one of them.
The first was in the 100m with 15.9 while in the 200m his time was 32.8. In the 800m he got 2.52.1 and in the long jump 3m while in the javelin he threw 13.50m, which was also a new club record and earned him a bronze medal.
U15 boy Sam Anderton was also prominent with two PBs of 53.6 for the 300m and 5.57.7 in the 1,500m.
The U15 girls saw Beth Barrett get 13.9 in the 75m hurdles and 14.9 in the 100m. In the 200m she ran a time of 30.0 while Erin McNulty competed in the 800m and finished with a time of 2.37.4.
U20m Jake Stearman ran the 5k race, getting a bronze medal with a time of 17.01.5, which was also a new club record.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 3 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 4 Organisers hail success of first ever Dereham Day
- 5 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 6 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 7 7 food and drink themed trains you can ride in Norfolk this summer
- 8 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 9 Bradenham still searching for win after Downham & Stow defeat
- 10 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
Nathan Protheroe, a second claim Dereham Runner (West Norfolk), got a gold medal in the 110m hurdles with a PB time of 17.5 and also a gold in the high jump. Then, with a great effort in the long jumph he won bronze with a distance of 6.23m (PB) which was a closely-fought competition with only 4cms separating the top three.
In the U17 girls Abi Foster ran 48.4 in the 300m and later in the 300m hurdles she got a silver medal with a time of 54.8. Ellie Foster got a couple of bronze medals, one in the 800m with a time of 2.36.9 and the other in the 1,500m with a time of 5.20.6
The U11s competed in four events which were 75m sprint, 600m, standing long jump and Vortex howler (throwing event). Tobias Cheesbrough got a PB in the 75m (12.4), 2.03.8 in the 600m, 16.12m in the VH and 1.66 in the SLJ. Ethan Barrett got 13.3.in the 75m, 1.98m in SLJ and 13.55 in the VH. Kai Wiseman got a PB in the 75m in 12.0, 2.03.5 in the 600m, 18.29m in the VH and 1.98m in the SLJ. His combined points from the four events earned him a bronze medal.
Larissa Jones, in her final outing for the club, jumped 1.34 in the SLJ, threw 7.67 in the VH and also got two PBs, one being in the 600m with a time 2.13.3 and the other in the 75m with 12.9, which was a new club record.