Diss II 8 Dereham 53 – Visitors on the rampage in Eastern Counties Two North romp
- Credit: Archant
Dereham put in one of their best performances of the season on a day when a number of first choice players were unavailable.
The visitors opened the scoring in the 15th minute when full-back Brett Stolworthy scored a superb solo try, Ethan Jones converting from the touchline.
The next try in the 30th minute was straight out of the text book with Tukana Tukes finishing off a move which started in their own 22 and with the ball passed sweetly through all the backs. Minutes later hooker Rhys Leeder drew the tackle and passed wide to Tukes again who feigned to go on the outside but cleverly stepped inside the defender to score.
At the end of the half, a further Tukes break set up another move through the back line for Stolworthy to run round under the posts.
Diss responded well to make it 24-7 to Dereham at half-time.
You may also want to watch:
The home team were struggling to cope with the power of the Dereham pack and a driving maul set up the next score for the visitors as Tukes touched down. Jones converted from yet another great touchline kick.
A drop goal from fly-half Ethan Jones and a try by Leeder added to the Dereham tally. The home team's match was summed up when a misplaced pass wide on the halfway line in the 70th minute was pounced on by Dereham winger Griff who scored under the posts.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 3 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 4 Number of Covid patients in hospital falls for first time in four months
- 5 Teenager creates bucket list for 'amazing' dog after cancer diagnosis
- 6 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 7 Resident’s fears over more housing as sewerage system buckles
- 8 Councillor accused of 'squirming' over environmental centre finances
- 9 'Bonkers' - MP objects to 50-home development in village
- 10 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
The Dereham team had been inventive throughout the match, no more so than when, with the last play of the match, scrum half Jones saw space behind the Diss defence and kicked an inch-perfect pass through for full back Stollworthy who picked up brilliantly under pressure to score the last try under the posts.