Doubles success for local juniors in county championships
- Credit: Archant
There was doubles success for two Dereham junior players at the 2017 Norfolk Schools under 12s county badminton championships held on Saturday.
A total of 36 boys and 23 girls entered the tournament making it the largest of its kind in recent memory.
Rhianna Hudson was part of the winning girls doubles team, alongside her partner, Monica Venn, and together they had a convincing victory.
George LeBon, along with playing partner Harry Wakefield, took the boys doubles by the tightest of margins. At one point the pair were match point down to the opposition and looked to be heading for defeat.
But with great resolve the boys did not allow the opposition to convert their match point to a win, as George smashed home the winning shot to snatch victory 21-20.
You may also want to watch:
Grateful thanks go to Maureen Lincoln and Robin Cooper of the Norfolk Schools Badminton Association, for running the event.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 3 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 4 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 5 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 6 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 7 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 8 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 9 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 10 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages