Elizabeth does Dereham Runners proud in Thompson 10k event
- Credit: Archant
Elizabeth Daly of Dereham Runners notched up another convincing win last Sunday.
Competing in the Thompson 10k race held near Watton, she was the first female finisher, and fourth overall, in a fast time of 43.04.
This latest result comes hard on the heels of Elizabeth's impressive stage win in the Round Norfolk Relay.
Indeed mixed terrain courses seem to have become a speciality for the athlete, an environmental consultant.
'Thompson is certainly a challenge if you chasing a time,' notes Neville Knights, who crossed the line in 49.18.
'As well as lanes and rural roads there are also some footpaths and even a section of the Peddars Way. Add to that some light rain, which got heavier towards the end of the race, and the scale of Elizabeth's achievement becomes clear.'
Others Dereham Runners negotiating the 10k course were Jenny Neave (56.22), Mandie Thorpe (82.49) and Andrea Buckingham (82.50).
- 1 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 2 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 3 Former military man elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 4 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 5 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 6 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 7 Organisers hail success of first ever Dereham Day
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 10 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
Andrew Rowles opted for the shorter 5k loop, coming home in 22.37.
Half a dozen DRAC runners travelled to Peterborough on Sunday to compete in the Perkins Great Eastern Run, a popular half marathon which attracted around 5,000 entrants, many of them seasoned club runners.
Will Longworth sailed home in a fast 1:22.19, placing him 125th overall. Stephen Lee also impressed, crossing the line in 1:31.34.
Other Dereham Runners at Peterborough included tireless Andrew Rowles (1:43.03), Sally Lee (1:52.09), Philip Websdale (2:01.22) and relative newcomer Helen Harrison, who finished alongside Websdale and in the process knocked 13 minutes off her previous half marathon personal best.
That was an excellent achievement that reflects her growing confidence as a distance runner. Second claim Dereham member Louise Juby came home in 1:30.26.
Just one DRAC runner took part in the Marriott's Way 10k, an enjoyable off-road event which began at Aylsham and finished on the marketplace at Reepham, with Peter Swales finishing in 47.15.
Thetford AC's triathlon team visited to Stowmarket to take part in the West Suffolk Sprint and out of the 212 competitors Simon Smith was third overall in 56.02.