England call for Shipdham judo ace
He has gone toe to toe with the nation's best judo fighters and has come out with his head held high.And now Tom Turner from Shipdham is taking the battle to the Far East after winning a place in England's Commonwealth Judo Championships team, writes Ben Wood.
He has gone toe to toe with the nation's best judo fighters and has come out with his head held high.
And now Tom Turner from Shipdham is taking the battle to the Far East after winning a place in England's Commonwealth Judo Championships team, writes Ben Wood.
The 20-year-old first dan black belt will fly to Singapore on January 7 to compete in the where he will face competitors from over 70 countries.
His ultimate dream is to be part of Team GB at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
You may also want to watch:
Turner began judo when he was 14 years old, but it was not until he joined the Kumo Judo Club in North Lopham, near Diss, 11 years ago that he began to flourish at the sport.
Competing at regional, national, and international levels he has received numerous awards including gold medals this year in the Ishin Rue Internationals, the AJA Nationals, the Eastern Area competition, and at events in Navelles and Rotterdam.
- 1 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 2 Children's home plans includes emergency housing in converted barn
- 3 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 4 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 5 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 6 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 7 Council increases street cleaning after duck poo complaints
- 8 Heat map images reveal Norfolk's most popular running routes
- 9 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 10 Dereham, Blofield and Belton are the latest coronavirus infection hotspots
As well as participating in events, he also teaches youngsters at the Kumo Judo Club and the Marham Judo Club, and is currently setting up a new after-school club for pupils at the Thomas Bullock Primary School in Shipdham.