FA Cup win for changed Magpies

Dereham Town's reward for their 1-0 away win over Ridgeons One Debenham LC in the FA Cup is a preliminary round home draw with Stamford AFC on August 30.

Dereham Town's reward for their 1-0 away win over Ridgeons One Debenham LC in the FA Cup is a preliminary round home draw with Stamford AFC on August 30.

A 42nd minute strike by Simon Mowbray saw the Premier Division Magpies through to play opponents from the Northern Premier League Division One South.

A cup replay denied Dereham their Tuesday night home league match with Norwich United - who re-engaged Wisbech Town - so they are next in action at Whitton on Saturday, both teams looking for their first point after two defeats. Then on Tuesday (7.45) Dereham entertain Ely City at Aldiss Park.

Debenham LC 0, Dereham Town 1

You may also want to watch:

Dereham manager Matty Henman made changes following consecutive defeats, writes Rene Kendal. And the Magpies just did enough to win this mediocre match.

They nearly opened the scoring from a well-worked move in the sixth minute. Midfielder Smith lifted the ball towards the back post, where Terrington exchanged passes with Mowbray before crossing to Sam Willis, keeper Ellis making a fine save from his downward header. Dereham continued to press but were nearly caught in the 15th minute, Higgs making a vital low save.

Most Read

Furlong tested Ellis with a well-struck drive but Dereham were failing to stamp their authority on the game, their passing sloppy, and the Hornets won two fruitless corners before Heathcote fired a low driveat Higgs.

The Magpies broke the deadlock in the 42nd minute. Striker Mowbray received the ball on the left and cut inside before unleashing a 20-yard drive into the top corner of the net.

Furlong picked up a knock at the start of the second period, and was replaced by Beaumont, with Terrington filling the left-back berth.

Keeper Higgs misjudged the ball as it bounced and Miller had to make a crucial tackle. Debenham's Canfer sliced his shot wide.

The home side lost their discipline and in the 57th minute, Taylor-Holt was red-carded for a kick at Sam Willis, and minutes later Kemp was cautioned. Mowbray and Smith over-struck crosses from the left, before Mowbray just failed to convert Sam Willis's cross.

The Magpies' pressure continued with Cousins' header being blocked and they missed a great chance when Sam Willis casually side-footed over from 10 yards.

Ellis made a fine save from Barrett's powerful close-range shot as the Magpies looked for the decisive second goal. Beaumont sped into the home box looking set to score, but Ellis made a smart save.

Dereham: J Higgs, O Willis, B Furlong, P Cousins, D Miller, S Willis, N Howell, A Smith, S Mowbray, G Barrett, C Terrington. Subs: D Beaumont, A Wood, J Hunt, J Eastoe-Smith, N Baker.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter