Fakenham ready for Norwich City

Fakenham Town are getting ready for what will probably be their biggest home game of the season, Norwich City on Tuesday night for a place in the quarter-finals of the Norfolk Senior Cup.

But the Ghosts will go into the tie without key striker Karl Pask who broke an ankle in Saturday's home league defeat by Thetford. 'He must be in doubt now for the remainder of the season,' said club press officer Paul Wright.

So manager Wayne Anderson has the tasks of filling the main striker's position and making sure his side put concerns about their league position to the backs of their minds as they face what is likely to be City's academy players at Clipbush Park Tuesday night (ko 7.45pm).

Admission will be �6 for adults, concessions �3, children under 16 �1 when accompanied by an adult with admission to the main stand �1 extra. Car parking is free.

Tickets can be obtained form Newsklip in Bridge Street, Fakenham, or at Clipbush Park.

Fakenham Town 2 Thetford Town 3

Most Read

Fakenham had to suffer the double disappointment of losing all three points and their main striker, Karl Pask, who was stretchered off in the second half of this game with what was later diagnosed as a broken ankle, writes Paul Wright.

Thetford struck in the final minutes to capture the points in what was otherwise a lack-lustre game that really only sparked into life in the final 30 minutes.

The first hour was limited to Thetford hitting the bar, when Blake's header was off target, while Fakenham's best chance came when Cole broke on the right to get to the byline. His low cross was met by Pask who got under the ball and sent his shot skywards.

Day then released Pask with a clever through ball, the striker's stinging angled shot could only be palmed away for a corner. The pace of Blake for the visitors was always a problem for the jittery home defence.

Fakenham's problems began in the 50th minute when Pask was injured when taking a shot on goal. A Thetford defender caught his ankle entirely by accident, and it was evident immediately that the Fakenham striker was hurt. He was stretchered off and later taken to hospital by ambulance.

Manager Wayne Anderson was the replacement but within seven minutes Thetford took the lead from a free-kick floated into the path of Dixon. His shot was parried by Rix into the path of Richards, who made no mistake from close range.

Fakenham got back on terms in the 73rd minute when Gilchrist was on hand to fire home a loose ball in the six-yard box following a corner.

Alamanos replaced Day and was straight into the thick of the action as he pressurised the Thetford defence from a long throw, forcing Simon Mann to head past his own keeper to give the Ghosts the lead.

Thetford were on the back foot as Fakenham continued to press to secure their lead, but Blake had other ideas and he finished a strong run into the box with a neat pass to Howard, who stroked the ball wide of Rix inside the far post to level the scores.

Fakenham pushed to get their noses back in front. Harvey's free-kick into the area was met by Hyde, but his header went inches wide with Gilchrist just failing to get a touch. Then Gilchrist powered forward to send a long-range shot just wide.

In the final minutes Thetford stole the points when a cross-cum-shot from Howard sailed over the head of Rix and dipped under the bar.

It was a cruel afternoon for the Ghosts who slipped nearer the basement of the Ridgeons First Division with this defeat.

Team: Rix, Harvey, Gilchrist, Greer, Pease, Day, Savory, Bamford, Cole, Pask. Hyde, Subs: Rawlings, Alamanos, Anderson.