First game defeat for Town

Dereham Town 0, Leiston 3After some impressive pre-season performances Dereham started their new Ridgeons League campaign at Aldiss Park with defeat against a strong-looking Leiston side.

Dereham Town 0, Leiston 3

After some impressive pre-season performances Dereham started their new Ridgeons League campaign at Aldiss Park with defeat against a strong-looking Leiston side.

Manager Matty Henman gave competitive debuts to all six of his summer signings as the Magpies looked to improve on last season's fourth-place finish, writes Rene Kendal.

After a tame opening 10 minutes the Suffolk side missed a great chance when McGlone raced past Furlong on the right before delivering a low cross towards the near post where Broadley failed to make a clean contact and sliced the ball wide from point blank range.

McGlone then rose above the home defence to head Cunningham's free kick wide, minutes later Broadley's low 20 yard drive took a deflection activating keeper Higgs into a smart save.

Leiston were looking much the brighter and deservedly took the lead in the 22nd minute.

Most Read

Bramble found space on the right and picked out Mark Lowe 10 yards out who firmly side-footed home giving Higgs no chance.

In persistent rain the Magpies were not able to penetrate the well-organised visiting defence who looked barely troubled.

Wood tested Stannard with a low 30-yard drive but the keeper claimed with ease. Leiston looked a little too strong for the home side in the first half with Matty Henman needing to lift his side at the break.

Half-time: Dereham 0, Leiston 1.

Broadley talked his way into the referee's notebook but minutes later nearly caught out Higgs with a well directed 30-yard chip.

In the 39th minute Dereham defender Miller upended Stuart Broadley as he looked set to score with the referee awarding a clear penalty.

Broadley got up to fire home the resultant spot kick although Higgs went the right way to increase Leiston's lead.

Dereham were still searching to make an impression and the visitors threatened again when Girling fed the ball into the feet of McGlone who spun his man and struck a crisp shot narrowly wide in the 55th minute.

Clearly changes needed to be made if Dereham were to reduce the deficit and Terrington and Mowbray entered proceedings.

However Leiston created another opportunity with McGlone glancing Cunningham's centre wide.

In the 75th minute Leiston full back Wardley was dismissed for a punch on Barrett following an altercation, the Dereham man was yellow carded.

The visitors won a corner on the right, Cunningham's deep cross headed back by Sillett to Lowe who hit a powerful right footer that was well saved by Higgs.

Dereham nearly clawed a goal back when Terrington superbly delivered a low centre creating rear panic in the visiting defence with Broadley stabbing the ball inches past his own post.

Leiston won another penalty when Willis was adjudged to have fouled Daniel Cunningham in the box.

Miller was injured before the incident and had to be carried off before Cunningham converted the penalty on time to seal a comprehensive victory for his side.

Dereham: J Higgs, Ollie Willis, Ben Furlong, Paul Cousins, Dean Miller, Jason Hunt, Nicky Howell, Adam Smith, Andrew Wood, Graham Barrett, Daniel Beaumont. Subs: C Terrington, Sam Willis, Simon Mowbray, Nathan Baker.

Referee: Mr G Bielby (King's Lynn). Att: 179.