Fitt stars as Dereham claim fourth successive victory
- Credit: Ian Burt
Ryan Fitt shone with both bat and ball as Dereham made it four wins on the trot in Division One of the Norfolk Alliance on Saturday.
With Fitt following up a half century by taking five wickets Dereham beat Vauxhall Mallards A by 31 runs in a high scoring game at Halvergate.
After being asked to bat first the side led by Jake Anema did well to make 299-9 in their 50 overs, with openers Fitt (53) and Daniel Lake (55) laying down a sound foundation.
Fitt made his score in just 42 balls, with 13 fours, while the runs continued to flow after his dismissal, with No 3 Neil Irons making 60.
David Lake (27) and Jonny Bidwell (20) maintained the momentum to help the visitors set a daunting target.
You may also want to watch:
Mallards responded in spirited fashion, with Tyler Murphy making 55, but a tough task proved beyond them as they were dismissed for 268, with Fitt taking 5-78.
Dereham's next match on Saturday (1pm) is a home derby against Mattishall, who were beaten at home by fellow strugglers Lowestoft on Saturday in a match that could have gone either way.
- 1 Step in the right direction for neglected footpath
- 2 Sir David Attenborough praises Dereham school’s eco achievements
- 3 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 4 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 5 Armed forces to be honoured in council ceremony
- 6 Part of A47 closed after concerns for woman’s welfare
- 7 Norfolk council agrees to go smoke free at headquarters
- 8 Your Say: Will Dereham locals go on holiday abroad this summer?
- 9 Hot property - Homes selling just days after being on market
- 10 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
Lowestoft ended up by winning by 29 runs to close the gap at the bottom to just two points.
The visitors did well to get up to 288-5. with half centuries from Arun Nair (78 not out), Adam Savoury (55) and Nathan Garrod (54).
Mattishall got close in reply, but not close enough, as they were dismissed for 259.
Three of their batsmen also got past 50. Jason Cole was the star man, scoring 75 in just 58 balls with five fours and three sixes, while Ben Parkyn made 56 and Gordon Chetwood 50.
Mattishall A recorded a convincing win over Old Catton in Division Five. They made 256-6 (Mark Stokes 59, Daniel Weber 49, Oliver Hood 47 not out, Ben Hudson 40) and then restricted their hosts to 148-9 (Hood 3-24).
Dereham A, with regular first team skipper Duncan Hewitt in the side, were well beaten by Division Six leaders Horsford B. They never looked like chasing down a huge total of 285-4 (Jack Robertson 105) and finished on 163-7, with Hewitt unbeaten on 63 batting at No 7, Opener Liam Jarvis had earlier contributed 47.
On Saturday Mattishall A host Swardeston/CEYMS while Dereham A travel to Bradfield A.