Fitt stars as Dereham claim fourth successive victory
- Credit: Ian Burt
Ryan Fitt shone with both bat and ball as Dereham made it four wins on the trot in Division One of the Norfolk Alliance on Saturday.
With Fitt following up a half century by taking five wickets Dereham beat Vauxhall Mallards A by 31 runs in a high scoring game at Halvergate.
After being asked to bat first the side led by Jake Anema did well to make 299-9 in their 50 overs, with openers Fitt (53) and Daniel Lake (55) laying down a sound foundation.
Fitt made his score in just 42 balls, with 13 fours, while the runs continued to flow after his dismissal, with No 3 Neil Irons making 60.
David Lake (27) and Jonny Bidwell (20) maintained the momentum to help the visitors set a daunting target.
Mallards responded in spirited fashion, with Tyler Murphy making 55, but a tough task proved beyond them as they were dismissed for 268, with Fitt taking 5-78.
Dereham's next match on Saturday (1pm) is a home derby against Mattishall, who were beaten at home by fellow strugglers Lowestoft on Saturday in a match that could have gone either way.
- 1 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 2 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
- 3 Wind turbines, cables and trenches: Is another way possible?
- 4 Where can I see Santa on his sleigh in Breckland this Christmas?
- 5 Countryfile to highlight controversial Norfolk road scheme
- 6 Cast your votes in the Times Awards 2021
- 7 Norfolk scams: Washing machine fraudsters and fake WhatsApp messages
- 8 Delays after BMW crashes into tree on A47
- 9 Pig farmer's invention wins national innovation award
- 10 Plumber's plan for 'enormous' garage in his back garden rejected
Lowestoft ended up by winning by 29 runs to close the gap at the bottom to just two points.
The visitors did well to get up to 288-5. with half centuries from Arun Nair (78 not out), Adam Savoury (55) and Nathan Garrod (54).
Mattishall got close in reply, but not close enough, as they were dismissed for 259.
Three of their batsmen also got past 50. Jason Cole was the star man, scoring 75 in just 58 balls with five fours and three sixes, while Ben Parkyn made 56 and Gordon Chetwood 50.
Mattishall A recorded a convincing win over Old Catton in Division Five. They made 256-6 (Mark Stokes 59, Daniel Weber 49, Oliver Hood 47 not out, Ben Hudson 40) and then restricted their hosts to 148-9 (Hood 3-24).
Dereham A, with regular first team skipper Duncan Hewitt in the side, were well beaten by Division Six leaders Horsford B. They never looked like chasing down a huge total of 285-4 (Jack Robertson 105) and finished on 163-7, with Hewitt unbeaten on 63 batting at No 7, Opener Liam Jarvis had earlier contributed 47.
On Saturday Mattishall A host Swardeston/CEYMS while Dereham A travel to Bradfield A.