Foulsham boost promotion bid
Foulsham 5, CEYMS 0
FOULSHAM, with every remaining game like a cup final in their efforts to gain promotion to Anglian Combination Division One, beat the morning leaders of Division Two to take over top spot by two points from one more game played.
With the Reserves without a game, Matty Barwell and Peter Hooks were called into the first team squad to boost its depth.
Foulsham started well, keeping CEYMS pegged into their own half. With Marc Willimott and Matty Barwell in midfield taking a more attacking formation than in past weeks, CEYMS struggled to get the ball out of their area.
They were often reduced to the long ball to clear the danger, but with Danny Robb exceptional in defence winning most headers against their strikers, CEYMS soon found they were on the defence again. Simon Prior and Ben Darby were breathing down their necks as they tried to get the ball under control.
You may also want to watch:
As CEYMS tried to clear the ball, Foulsham took the lead. The ball was cleared only to the Foulsham midfield from where it was chipped back into the path of Prior. He forced a defender to kick the ball back to his keeper, only for him to kick it off Prior into the back of the net.
It was no more than Foulsham deserved and they scored their second when again Prior ran into the penalty area and crossed for Darby to slot in from close range.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 'The company was becoming the story' - Under fire care home firm to sell up
- 3 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 4 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 5 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 6 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 7 Organiser humbled as 210 strong Land Rover convoy raises over £3,000
- 8 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 9 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 10 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
It gave Foulsham the lead they wanted at half-time, although the score could easily have been six.
In the second half Foulsham were once again in control. All players were up for this game and were not going to let the lead slip.
Both Prior and Darby added to their tallies, Prior when he found himself one-on-one with the keeper and Darby from the penalty spot.
Craig Hagon left the field with an a re-occurring injury which saw the appearance of Peter Hooks, and when Darby received a dead-leg after colliding with the keeper, he was replaced by Karl Wiseman.
Foulsham continued to push forward, and when Hooks received the ball on the left wing, his pace took him into the penalty area. With only the keeper to beat he chipped the ball over his head into the back of the net.
Foulsham on Saturday visit fifth-placed Mundford in another big game (ko 2.30pm).