Gallow girls end in style in the County Triples League
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Gallow Ladies A completed their fixtures in the County Triples League on Saturday with a home game against Diss A.
The away fixture had ended in defeat but the team were able to turn it around at home. Three blocks were ahead at halfway but the block of Jo Ashmore, Josie Wright and Beryl Graver were adrift. However, Diss did not score another shot and the Gallow block won 17-10.
The final result was an 8-0 win. Other rink scores: Ann Leverett, Sandra Burlingham and Coralie Bell 17-5; Pam Frary, Maureen Leverett and Louise Hannant, 14-10; Cheryl Lincoln, Mollie Bowyer and Irene Lambert 17-8.
Eight of the team played Colchester in the last 16 of the Mason, a national team competition. Ann Leverett, Josie Wright, Sandra Burlingham and Coralie Bell did not disappoint. They started well, as they have in all previous rounds, and after 10 ends led by six, which they were able to maintain, winning 17-11. The away block were one shot behind at the same point, unfortunately they dropped eight on two of the next four ends. But the team of Cheryl Lincoln, Irene Lambert, Mollie Bowyer and Pam Whitehead dug in and their score was 15-16. The overall aggregate saw a brilliant win for Gallow 32-27.
The quarter-finals are on Friday, March 24 against St Neots.
Congratulations to Gallow Mens A captain, Danny Cawthorne, who has had a very successful campaign in this year's Federation singles. He defeated Dan Mills in the final and played Dan again in the final of the Under 25 singles with the same result. Danny will now represent Norfolk at the national finals at Newark in April.
Gallow's Malcolm Starkey has reached the national finals in the Over 60s singles of the prestigious EBA competition. He played Clive Derry from County Arts in the area finals and had an easy win 21-9 and will play in the final stages at Nottingham on April 14/15.
- 1 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Landmark nature project aims to rejuvenate river valley wildlife
- 6 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 7 Stunning 'Lady of the Wood' carved statue revealed at park
- 8 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 Education bursary worth £1,000 launched to mark Queen's Jubilee
The spotlight fell on a friendly for Dereham against a visiting side from Jersey, Dereham won. Rink scores: Bernadette Scott, Di Rosi and Peter Webster 41-5; John Lacey, John Chaney and Yvonne Hunt 24-11; Isobel Bunker, Arthur Mobbs and Derek Bower 16-7; Peter Hunter, Iris Bunning and Anita Smith 15-19.